Im new here

i have virtually experience with any cephalapods but i have become quite interested in cuttlefish, but i have no idea where to start so alot of info would be great. i have many years experience with saltwater tanks so im not a total newb, i have several existing reef tanks.

:welcome: to TONMO! Read away, the info you need is here for your taking! Be sure to check out our articles as well. If you have questions the community is here to help.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

Well to start this whole topic lets begin with the species your keeping an eye out to keep? Have you bought a tank yet? Also it be nice to know what size it is. Just to let you know cuttlefish are from time to time available in the U.S BUT as you may know they mainly come from U.K and Europe and cuttlefish do NOT travel well. Here's some species that are good for aquariums. Tell me what your looking for and I'll start from there.

Sepia bandensis------ I STRONGLY recommend you get this species because they are much more convenient than the others

Sepia officinalis-------If you have the time and money knock yourself out but these Common Cuttlefish grow huge and have an average 2 year life span and need 200 gallon tanks and counting as your cuttlefish reaches to maturity

Metasepia pfefferi------I was a little skeptical about mentioning the sacred and rare not to be messed with Flamboyant Cuttlefish myself, but these cuttlefishes have been kept in captivity and breeding. Please don't get this knowing nothing.

:welcome: to TONMO

as tony mentioned the best place to start is with the articles which you can find here:
Mating Octopus (Abdopus-aculeatus)

This is a great one on cuttles and I suggest you start here.
Cephalopod Care

Another great resource is our list of cuttles that will link you too that cuttles journal where you can read about the keepers experience with them. the list is here:
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?20117-List-of-Our-Cuttlefishes-2009-2011

Well to start this whole topic lets begin with the species your keeping an eye out to keep? Have you bought a tank yet? Also it be nice to know what size it is. Just to let you know cuttlefish are from time to time available in the U.S BUT as you may know they mainly come from U.K and Europe and cuttlefish do NOT travel well. Here's some species that are good for aquariums. Tell me what your looking for and I'll start from there.

Sepia bandensis------ I STRONGLY recommend you get this species because they are much more convenient than the others

Sepia officinalis-------If you have the time and money knock yourself out but these Common Cuttlefish grow huge and have an average 2 year life span and need 200 gallon tanks and counting as your cuttlefish reaches to maturity

Metasepia pfefferi------I was a little skeptical about mentioning the sacred and rare not to be messed with Flamboyant Cuttlefish myself, but these cuttlefishes have been kept in captivity and breeding. Please don't get this knowing nothing.

Bandensis will likely be the only species you have available to you.

uuuuuuumm....hmmmmm...

You could get away with a 40 or a 50 gall will one specimen of Bandensis which is a smaller species (but not the smallest though, I'm not going to mention the species because it's pointless to bother due to the fact the only cuttlefish that is ever likely to be available is......like what Captfish mention...Bandensis)

But if you do get two cuttles ( it couldn't hurt to say that I recommend a 60 or more for 2),

Number one, if you screw up and get two males your asking to witness a bloodbath

Number two, get a smaller tank like a 30 gall for the young after the two cuttles mate

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back