Im loaded with babies!!!

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Octavarium, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

Im so nervous, theres hundreds floating around, skimmer is shut off just in time last night. What do I do!?!? What to feed?! Im gonna get some video, im in a panicky rush here, I hope some live.

2. Octavarium

I just bought some arctic pods from the only LFS near me that serves anything like pods, mysid, etc. I hope this can hold over a few.

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Might try cyclops-eeze, zooplankton, marine snow maybe.

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I tried the snow with both brine shrimp and baby seahorses and don't like it. It did not seem to feed anything and mucked up the water quality. Cyclop-eeze and Zooplex have much less effect on water quality and I know mine have eaten it because of the color of their poop.

5. Octavarium

I should go find some cyclopeeze tommorow then. Is it frozen cubes?

6. DWhatley

No, I have seen it in two forms. The form you are most likely to find is a red foil pack (the other is a very large block). When I bought it this way I would use a potato peeler and scrape it into the tank (now I buy the large block and break it up with a hammer :twisted:)

7. Bigpapa

Bigpapa Wonderpus Registered

I have it in a small canister. it is freeze dried powder. You just have to make sure you submerse your pinch or else it likes to float on top.

8. Octavarium

Ugh, I visited all stores and came up with nothign but wafer and flake forms. Should I try crushing the flakes? I also bought some dam expensive frozen oyster eggs...should I try these? If not I can feed it to my corals in the other tank.

9. gholland

gholland Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Just curious... how big are the babies? And are they staying suspended? Have you had a chance to get a pic yet?

10. Octavarium

11. KDS

KDS O. bimaculoides Registered

Octavarium,
    Try finding the following arcticle:
    "Rearing of Octopus vulgaris paralarvae: Present status, bottlenecks and trends"
    as well as a search on Roger Villanueva
    I have found several articles that have been helpful. My octopus has laid eggs and we are preparing for them. Your video was helpful. Keep us posted.
    KDS

12. Michael Roth

Michael Roth Blue Ring Registered

very very cool

13. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Wow! So many. So tiny.

14. Octavarium

Im thinking a breed net tomm to concentrate the few left, and most importantly, turn the skimmer back on. This would help concentrate the feeding also.

15. DWhatley

Does this mean that most have died?

Did you try the oyster eggs? They certainly seem like an excellent idea.

16. Octavarium

Yeah im about cut in half, I did try the oyster eggs but there so dam small I cant even see them, there like a milky white cloud in the tank...Im worried that maybe they will sink or the area will be too big for the babies to come in contact with the eggs or food, which is why I would try the net.

17. DWhatley

From the pics, half is still a mess o' octos! I would definitely try a breeder net (largest you can find) with a power head blowing on it. I turned my power head off at night. This worked well for the first group but not the second. With the first batch I didn't think of putting the power head on the light timer until about 2 weeks after hatching and I think I should have waited that long with the second. The net definitely helped with food density. I keep wondering if their little gills are slower to develop and that water movement is important for more than just food bumping into them. You might try adding an air stone to one net for both water movement and higher CO2 release just to see if it makes any difference.

18. Octavarium

Well Im severly down this morning, were talking only 40 or so strong survivors. The skimmers is on, theyre in the breeder net where I fed oyster eggs and powdered cyclop eeze. After reading your post dwhately I put the air stone back also, god circulation now. I really hope I can get one to keep...I'd love to have the same species with a fresh 2 years ahead of it instead of all the hassel of ordering an unknown.

19. DWhatley

You'll be the first on Tonmo to do so and one of very few to accomplish raising any small egg octo but everyone is pulling for a success. I would give up my desire to convert the 140 for a vulgaris if I even thought I could raise Hummelincki. Four days and 40 octos is better than other reports.

20. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Nice work. See if you can find the frozen cyclopeez, its better than the freeze dried. You can also hatch brine shrimp cysts which should be available at just about any LFS. Baby brine is a fine food, and might be the right size. The other thing you might try is live rotifers, www.rotifer.com (reed mariculture) sells live ones, and they may also be the right size. If you keep the octos alive for a while, reed mariculture sells a reef nutrition product called Tigger Pods which are live and should make a nice octo food.

Don't be down! You are doing a great job!