I'm doing it! (drilling my tank)

cuttlegirl

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether green aquarium netting would last very long. What if you used fiberglass window screen? I had an old lobster tank with an overflow. I made a frame of pvc that fit into the overflow and then sewed windowscreen with nylon fishing line over the frame and then placed that on the overflow.

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good point. To be honest I hadn't given the material much thought other than I wanted something other than filter material prone to clog.

I discovered this last night:

The Hofer Gurgle Buster

The water inlet is between 1/8" and 1/4" of an inch thick. I think that would effectively be as difficult an obstacle for an oco to get through as screen or net. Right now I'm considering a glass overflow box without any octo-proofing material covering it. The octo could go in the box if he really wants to, but I'd have two Hofers so he could only ever block one of them at a time.

Dan

joefish84

Sepia elegans
Registered
Reaction score
id be worried about my tank overflowing with that one cause water is a freak thing that likes to travel up and if that thing gets clogged or something your screwed

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
Reaction score
joefish84 said:
id be worried about my tank overflowing with that one cause water is a freak thing that likes to travel up and if that thing gets clogged or something your screwed
There are a few ways to combat this:

1) there would be two of them for redundancy, each able to handle the total flow on its own

2) my system as it is now cannot flood. My pump is on a shelf high up in the sump. If I were to have an overflow failure the pump would run dry and burn itself out before the display tank flooded. My landlord's floor is worth more than my pump.

After this project is done I'm going to wire the pump to a float switch so even in the event of a drain clog it shouldn't destroy the pump.

I think the HGB design is pretty robust. There are a couple ways its design mitigates these risks:

a) Despite being thin, the drain gap goes around in a decent sized circle so its a little less likely for one object to completely seal it off

b) In normal operation it works as a drain without siphon action. If flow is restricted and the water level rises, it will overtake the vent tube in the top. Once that happens and water fills the chamber BOOM a real powerful siphon action (with above average head due to the flood) is going to increase the capacity and probably suck the clog straight through.

Dan

tjohnson

Wonderpus
Registered
Reaction score
With my new tank I built for my bimac, I created an absolutly octopus proof overflow box, using black acrylic, sutting all my slits for the water to flow througth, then made a top for the box which slides in horizontally interlocking with the sides. You have to see it, but i dont have a camera, so for now your out of luck, sorry. I'll try to get pics soon.