• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I'm Confused on Tank Sizes!

oops hijacked thread!!!

Hi nancy

caudates are the tailed amphibians and anurans are the frogs and toads :smile:

Oscar,

i have a large compost heap at work where i am allowed to keep a large part of the collection and another compost heap at home in the garden. i mostly feed them earthworms and slugs. Crickets are rarely used as they are nowhere near as nutritional as live worms. But I always have some crickets for the frogs, so ocasionally a cricket may get thrown to a salamander.

I am very interested in the Triturus genus and work with wild populations too. I am a licensed amphibian worker as part of my countryside ranger job. So as its winter here most of my triturus and the Salamandra are in their winter rest stage.

i have about 80% of them aquatic. Its much easier to care for them in water and much easier to feed than when they are terrestrial. But, some of them like the juvenile marmoratus would easily drown if kept aquatically at this stage in their life so they are terrestrial just now, will encourage them to become aquatic next year.
The sals are all terrestrial except Pleurodeles waltl.

At least most of these live for 10 to 20 yrs unlike our cephy friends :smile:

They are not all in tanks, the ones in my house are but i find that those large opaque holding boxes which are plastic and sold in DIY shops are great. Very cheap, secure lids and light enough to see through them. Especially good for when the newts are hibernating etc

Cheers
Colin

wow thanks for that - i have thought about keeping amphibians and that before but the licence is hard to get here and i wasnt sure what was involved - i would like to try frogs one day!!!

i didnt know you could get metamorphised salamanders to live entirely in water - or do you jest feed in water? and have the enclosure half half?

Only certain salamanders in the water year round like Pleurodeles waltl... Salamandra would actually drown very quickly

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back