[Octopus]: I'm back ... Been 6 or so years

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by marinerules, Jan 7, 2015.

1. marinerules

marinerules Wonderpus Registered

Well. Time for another octopus. My pet store said that he can order one on his list. All he can tell me is that it's labeled common octopus ... Hopefully it will be a bimac or briareus.

I've kept the bimac species back in the past

He should be here Monday

His home will be a 240 gallon aquarium ,with a 55 gallon sump, 25 gallon tub of matrix biomedia and a coralife super skimmer

The return pump is about 2200 Gph

This tank has been up and running for about 2 years now . Today after work I traded back to the pet store my blue line trigger , Picasso trigger , and my 15 inch snowflake eel

I hope I'm not bringing bad luck here by posting before I actually get him ...

I'm ready to be back in the octopus crowd

2. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

@marinerules Nice to make your acquaintance :grin:. I came on board about the time you left. There is almost NO chance of it being a bimac today and a very high chance of O. briareus. It is close to impossible to legally buy a bimac any more as most are found off the CA coast and cannot be sold (eaten, used for bait or for your own aquarium are legal but not sold live). O. briareus has been in high abundance the last couple of years but I worry about it being a fully mature specimen (they should be hatching about now in quantity but the new batch will not likely be caught for a couple of months yet -- not guaranteed though as their primary hatching season started Nov, Decemberish and they do spawn year round). A US vulgaris would be exceptional for that tank but sourcing one a problem.

:fingerscrossed: on a young animal, whatever it is.

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome back, marinerules! It's been a long time. What are you up to these days, besides your aquarium (or aquariums). While you were gone, our Tonmo members have kept many, many octopuses and other cephs. As D notes, bimacs are not so common now, but we have a wider range of
    species available. Also, a few years ago, Colin and I wrote a book about keeping octopuses and other Cephalopods in a home aquarium

Good luck with your new octopus. You have a nice, big tank so your octo should have a good home.

Nancy

marinerules likes this.
  4. ekocak

ekocak Vampyroteuthis Registered

I've been gone at least that long too, and didn't know that about the bimacs. That's too bad they were my favorites.

marinerules likes this.
  5. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

marinerules likes this.
  6. marinerules

Why is it illegal for bimacs now

I actually prefer a briareus as they have longer arms. Maybe I should have waited. I didn't know when hatching season ect and all that was lol

ekocak likes this.
  7. DWhatley

I believe it is an old law and there is quite a bit of discussion on it. Here is a linhttp://www.tonmo.com/community/thre...rves-collection-and-fishing-regulations.9860/k to one of the discussion threads along with a link to the law. IF you have contacts there and can have them collect one for you without money or favors, it appears to be an acceptable acquisition. However, these animals really do need a chiller where O. briareus is a warm water species and currently one of the most obtainable in the US.

8. marinerules

oh ok. well, i bought some acrylic panels, which arent cheap , as lids . i have to octoproof this tank again, since they are escape artists and all.

My tank is eurobraced, so i have three lids. Now to get to the overflow area and make it safe lol :)

9. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Welcome back!

10. marinerules

No octopus yet. The store decided not to make his order till next Monday

11. marinerules

Just wanted to give an update lol
    I have gave up on the dependability of my local petstores

They say they can get them and it just doesn't happen after waitin for weeks

I have luck coming my way from an online vendor who I won't name lol. Cause he has one but he hasn't seen it yet and he is gonna tell me if it's a briareus or a Vulgaris

I need to look up these species tempeture requirements.
    My tank is at 78 right now

12. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Welcome back!

You probably DON'T want a vulgaris, they get very large!!! Up to 25 (9.9 inches) cm mantle and 1 m (abt 40 inches) arms! So unless you have a monster tank..............?

13. marinerules

Oh. Didn't know they got that large

My supplier sent me these. He said he didn't know what it was. Anyone know ?

I told him I may buy it but rather wait for a briareus

Attached Files:

14. DWhatley

Could be adult O. mercatoris but not sure. If so I am guessing it is about to (or has already) lay eggs.

15. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I would pass on this one, unless he can send you a picture where the animal is less pale...