• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

idiot proof guide to seting up a saltwater tank!

um0123

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
im new, and have wanted a cuttlefish for the longest time. i need an idiot proof guide to setting up a salt water tank for a cuttlefish. or maybe a squid if its easier to acquire in California.

:welcome: to TONMO!

Since squid are extremely hard to keep, aiming for a cuttle tank is your best bet, but unfortunately there aren't really any shortcuts; you'll need to learn the ins and outs of saltwater tanks in general before you're ready to take on a challenging animal like a ceph. That said, though, there are a lot of people here who can guide you through the process... including some references that will help.

First, get a current book on setting up and maintaining a saltwater tank. When I say "current" I mean a book that isn't more than 8-10 years old. There are a lot of books out there with outdated information that will just give you a headache.

Treat the tank like it is an animal itself. It will need lots of attention. You will have to learn how to care for the tank itself before moving on to the really fun stuff. By then though, the tank will be really fun stuff, or a chore. Then you'll know if you really want to put the time and money into the project. The most idiot-proof advice you can get is BE PATIENT! It takes a few months for a tank to stabilize and become a habitable environment.

Welcome to TONMO.

:welcome: Do you live near a public aquarium? If you are over 18, you could volunteer and learn a lot about keeping salt water animals. Check to see if there is a local aquarium club in your area. That is a good way to meet people in your area interested in salt water aquariums.

the nearest aquarium i know of is in san francisco. and i dont know much people that keep salt water aquariums, i liv ein a town where the people working at places are not specialized (e.g. people at petco dont know about animals, people at radioshack dont know about electronics, etc.)

Where do you live? There are many local clubs in the bay area that can help you get a start. If you like me know where you live I can help you find a club. Also, the advice about a good book is spot on.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back