• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Idetifying male or female sepia bandesis

Is there certain colors or paterns to identify sexes ? I added a divider in my cuttle tank and both of my small cuttles squeezed in to the side with the big cuttle . Then the big cuttle blew a white liquid into the tank 1 time . The smaller 2 stayed close together and the big one seemed to watch me more than the other cuttles . I left the egg crate divider in for the smaller ones so they can retreat to safety if needed .

Usually males will display to each other, high contrast colors, usually black, white, or something similar. The smaller two are probably not sexually mature yet so they will not fight if they are different sexes. I don't think a male will try to mate with females that aren't mature. I am not sure what to tell you about the cloud other than maybe some off color ink. Cuttles don't broadcast spawn so I'm pretty sure it's not sperm unless he broke his sperm packet, though I have never heard of that happening. Good idea leaving the divider in for a retreat. We can pretty much only tell sexes by seeing the mating occur or seeing which is laying eggs.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back