Identify my Octo?

skeezguy

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I know that is hard to identify octpuses on what kind they are. I was just wondering if anyone might be able to identify what kind of octpus that i have & how was you able to identify it?

Also on one of my octopus's tenticales there is a blue-ish 1/2 in long ring color on its skin you should beable to see it on the pictures)...i was wondering on why that might be "(if it has been cut off & it regrown back, if it is just a mark that that they sometimes get, if it has been injuried there before or whatever it could be from))

Also. can anyone thell me if its eyes are open? the dont look open to me. They always look like they are closed or just barely open?

Thanks

Attachments

• conv_302928.jpg
    conv_302928.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 103
  • conv_302929.jpg
    conv_302929.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 101
  • conv_302930.jpg
    conv_302930.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 98
my guess would be O. briareus, but more experienced folks can probably give a more expert opinion...

this thread:

New octopus...any idea what kind?

has one that Roy IDed as a briareus. Yours seems to have less of the blue-green tint, though.

and :welcome: to TONMO!

Upvote 0
Thanks
I also posted another question on feeding him but havent got an answer.

Can anyone tell me what ways that i can try to get my Octo to eat cocktail shrimp or other frozen foods that i could select from the grocery store. I tried to feed him a shrimp (thawed) I just droped it in the tank near him & he grabed it & tasted it for a while but then i found the shrimp a little later. I also trie it on a feeding stick & to give to him by hand. I am not sure if he just dont like it or do i need to build him up to eating it. Or is there anything else that most octo's like to eat that isnt going to cost so much.

I have been feeding him crayfish & he eats those in 10 seconds. But those are costing me $3 USA each. I live in Indiana so it is winter time & i can go to a creek & just catch them myself If any people can give me any helpful tips would be great.

Upvote 0
Was the shrimp raw or cooked and frozen - it should be raw. If your octopus doesn't take shrimp, you could try other raw shellfish. Do you have a fresh seafood counter at the grocery store? You might bring a photo of your octopus and ask for a bit of this and that to try - a shrimp, a mussel (you should open it for feeding), a piece of squid, maybe a piece of fish. You might try another kind of shrimp (other than cocktail). A few octopuses will only accept live food. With most, you can offer frozen food and use live food for an occasional treat.

Nancy

Upvote 0
Hi Skeezguy,

First up your octi is lovely and his eyes are open. Octopus have a horizontal pupil that often looks as if the eyes are closed!

Secondly (& i can hear all the tonmoers groaning as I climb up on my soapbox!) try to feed mainly marine species to your octopus. I'm assuming what you call crayfish are freshwater (as you mention catching them in the creek!). FW animals are not a suitable staple diet for an octopus (great treat tho') the fat to protein ratios are off. You may need to invest in some live crabs to help wean him onto the thawed (marine :biggrin2:) shrimp...................but be warned some octopus never take to eating dead food. Try gently wiggling the shrimp on the feeding stick to simulate movement, sometimes that works.

Cheers

Jean

Upvote 0
Nancy
I bought the shrimp at the fresh seafood counter at the grocery store. I also bought some frozen scallops but he didnt even touch it.

Jean
yes the crtayfish are FW. I tried a feeding stick with the shrimp but he just ignores it. I thought it might be cause he is not used to the tank & it might take him awhile to take to the shrimp. But he seems to be very happy because he is out swimming around for hours & it doesnt bother him for people to come up to the tank...he seems to ignore us & act like we are not eve there...lol. I would like to only feed him only marine species & thats why i am tring get it from a grocery store because i live in Indiana & the only live marine stuff comes from the Aquarium stores but they are expensive. Emerald crabs are $8 each plus i they are to small but eveything else is more money then them..lol. Is there a good place on-line that sells live marine for good prices?

Dutch
it's a 14 gallon Bio Cube. I had it for coral frags. I have a 55 gallon tank that is just sitting around but has nothing else with it. I took all of the stuff off of it & put it on my 75 gallon reef tank...lol. I have been wanting to get an octo & put him in my 55 gallon after i saved up some more money to get all of the things it needs. But i as at the Aquarium store & there was a guy that was wanting to buy the octo but he was an idiot. They guy didnt know much about keeping saltwater aquariums but wanted the octo because he thought it was cool to have. So i went to the owner of the store & told him that i wanted the octo becaues i didnt want that idiot to take it home & it die within a couple of hours. I have always heard that they can live very well in small tanks so i took out my coral frags & made all of the necessary changes.

I am glad i found this site. most of info that i get comes from owners & sales people of the aquariums stores on octos & some of them can tell us the wrong things just so the can sell them. So it is very nice to beable to find people that have knowledge about owning them themselves & give me their truthful & experienced knowledge....great site...thanks

Upvote 0
i got him eating the shrimp now but he doesnt seem to want the crayfish anymore...lol

Also, i am going to put some mushroom corals in the tank with him so give the tank more of a pretty look. I figured mushrooms would be ok because he wouldnt bother them & they wouldnt bother him. I was wanting to know if CORAL VITAL (the reef life energizer) would hurt the octo if i put it in there?

The ingredients
Vitamins: A, D3 & E
Trace Minerals: Calcium, Cobalt, Copper, Extract, Fluorine, Iodine, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, NaCl, Phosphorus, Patassium, Selenium, Sulfer, & Zinc

Upvote 0
skeezguy;89034 said:
i got him eating the shrimp now but he doesnt seem to want the crayfish anymore...lol

Also, i am going to put some mushroom corals in the tank with him so give the tank more of a pretty look. I figured mushrooms would be ok because he wouldnt bother them & they wouldnt bother him. I was wanting to know if CORAL VITAL (the reef life energizer) would hurt the octo if i put it in there?

The ingredients
Vitamins: A, D3 & E
Trace Minerals: Calcium, Cobalt, Copper, Extract, Fluorine, Iodine, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, NaCl, Phosphorus, Patassium, Selenium, Sulfer, & Zinc

:alarm: no! no! no!

never, ever put anything with copper anywhere near a ceph!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back