• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

ID?

incysor

Cuttlefish
Registered
I found this guy at one of the LFS, and didn't feel like waiting another 2-3 months until my fishsupply order might get filled.

Anyone have an idea what species 'Houdini' might be?

He earned his name by crawling out of the acclimation pitcher to go exploring across the hardwood floors. :hmm:

I took a couple quick shots of him in a shallow tupperware bowl to see if anyone would recognize what type of octo he is.

B

P1010007sm.jpg

P1010008sm.jpg

Looks like a lovely young briareus :smile:

Nice catch, but they really do try their best to escape! watch those lids...

take it you're in the States? (acclimation pitcher)

Colin said:
Looks like a lovely young briareus :smile:

Nice catch, but they really do try their best to escape! watch those lids...

take it you're in the States? (acclimation pitcher)

:wink:
Yep. I just adjusted my profile. I'm in Texas.

Thanks for the ID. Now I can do a bit more research.

The tank is fairly well octo proofed from when we had our bimac squishy. We lost him, (no eggs), last year, and wanted to replace him immediately, but knew a move was in our future so we decided to wait until we did that and got everything upgraded and settled back in before ordering another one. By the time we did that octopets had their snafu, and everyone is backordered 4-6 months it appears. I figured I'd go ahead with this guy since it's been nearly six weeks since I tried to order a bi-mac and was told 4-6 weeks, and just saw that people are still being told 4-6 weeks. Hopefully when we inevitably lose this guy everyone will be back up and running and I can get another bimac.

Long legs and aqua color do look like an O. briarieus (Caribbean reef Octopus). However, the "green eye brows" are not something I've seen before although I've mostly worked with hatchlings and adults of this species, not juveniles. O. briarieus has a sister species on the other side of the Panama Canal - any idea where he/she is from?

In any case, O. briarieus are quite the escape artists; you are not the first to name one Houdini.

James

Welcome back! What a lovely young octopus! Such beautiful colors.

I'll add Houdini to our list of Tonmo octos and assume for now that he or she is a briareus.

Looking forward to more pics of Houdini in the tank.

Nancy

ceph said:
Long legs and aqua color do look like an O. briarieus (Caribbean reef Octopus). However, the "green eye brows" are not something I've seen before although I've mostly worked with hatchlings and adults of this species, not juveniles. O. briarieus has a sister species on the other side of the Panama Canal - any idea where he/she is from?

In any case, O. briarieus are quite the escape artists; you are not the first to name one Houdini.

James

I was being lazy this morning and thought maybe someone would recognize it on sight. After Colin ID'd it I looked it up on cephbase, and there are quite a few in the briareus image library that look pretty similar.

http://www.cephbase.utmb.edu/imgdb/imgdb.cfm

I didn't figure I was being particularly original naming it houdini, but I figured if I named it after any of these guys I'd have to explain it over and over and over. :lol:

http://www.evenden-jones.co.uk/escapology/Links.asp

I've got no idea where it's from. The owner of the shop I got it from wasn't in, and his wife couldn't tell me where it was ordered from.
What's the name of sister species of o. briareus?

B

He's really beautiful! Best of luck with him!!!! I love the first shot. You can see he already has plans for another escape!!!

Carol

Well, we didn't see him all last night. He found a good hole to hide in for sure.

I caught him with the tanks dark this morning though. And took several pics. Only one really came out. Here's the orig, resized, and the crop from the orig.

B

P1010014CCsm.jpg

P1010014CCcp.jpg

no but my cousin does and i would also like to know his supplier so maybe i can get my lfs to order from there.

p.s. thats a visually stunning octo u got there

B B Tropical Fish & Pet, 9226 FM 1960 Rd W, Houston, TX 281-469-3756

I have no idea if they'll share the info or not, but I wish you luck. :cool2:

B

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back