ID without pictures - Round 2!

devi

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello!
I finally, after a few months of waiting, have an octopus on its way to my LFS!! What we've been told is it's small and red. It may have come from Bali, but it may not have. Helpful info right? :mrgreen:
Anyone want to take a guess before it shows up?

If from Indonesia, most likely one of the macropus complex. Have a look at Beldar's and Puddles' journals (Puddles has kind of a nice video near the end of the journal). These are a favorite species for interaction BUT they are very nocturnal.

Upvote 0
Macropus is a complex (even though a largish animal in the Caribbean is commonly called Macropus) and includes an international variety of mostly nocturnal red animals with white markings. Puddles and Beldar are often called O. luteus (Starry Night Octopus) in the dive world but that animal is much larger according to Norman (If you can find a copy of Mark Norman's Cephalopods A World Guide you will not regret the purchase but it has been out of print for several years and getting hard to find - best pricing I can find is in Europe, This one will ship to the US for $20.00 bringing the price to $56 which is a very good price for the book - Amazon's price is absurd and twice the original retail - odd for them).

Additionally, O. joubini can display very red in addition to brown, white, tan and mottled. My little unknown dwarf, Monty, could display bright sponge orange as a young animal but did not display that color as an adult.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back