Id request

avi

Hatchling
Registered
Hey, i'm avi from israel and i've found this fossil near afek (North israel)
5189541346_d027101636_b.jpg

5188940161_51a674c3de_b.jpg

Can you tell what is it?
Many thanks
avi

:welcome: first and foremost! It bears some resemblance to Procheloniceras, but I'm sure Architeuthoceras and Hajar should be chiming in, any minute now!

I have further taken the liberty of moving this to "fossils and history".

well I had never heard of Procheloniceras before (and don't know much about ammonites), but what strikes me first in the photo are the tubercles and the straight ribs, something like the Late Cretaceous Texanites?

I agree on interpreting the tubercules as such, and am trying to make sure I understand the geology sufficiently to make a Texas/Israel linkup via the Tethys overflow. I know Texanites is found as far East as the South of France, but is has four or five rows of tubercules, rather than just two (three?), so, close, yet no cigar. Will keep at it, interesting query to answer :wink:

Others will know more, but I looked at the Texanites in the "Atlas of Invertebrate Macrofossils" edited by John Murray, where it says, "Ornamented with strong straight ribs with 3 or more tubercles"; "U Cretaceous (Santonian-L.Campanian). Worldwide."
Their illustrated example is from Transkei, Africa.

Your rock is an external mold Avi. I think I can see three tubercles per rib on the inner whorl. Do you have any pieces of the actual ammonite?

Boy I sure missed seeing this thread yesterday, talk about embarrassed :oops:

It looks like Protexanites bourgeoisi, except for that mid lateral node, an ammonite quite common worldwide from the Late Coniacian (Late Cretaceous). The mid lateral node probably puts it in Reginaites or Bevahites. Texanites would have five nodes throughout ontogeny, some of these others develop and lose nodes depending on diameter, these are very hard to ID because of this but it is definitely a Texanitid (probably Santonian).

Thanks Kevin, a number of new names for me there. Perhaps "Texanitid" is close enough given that we only have a partial external mold to go by and don't confidently know how many nodes there were per rib (since we only glimpse them clearly in the external mold of the inner whorls).

Something that might be fun to try Avi would be to make a latex cast so that you can see what the actual fossil would have looked like.

If there was a mold of the venter it would be a lot easier to ID. The flatness of the side makes me think of Texanites, but at that diameter (compared to the hand) it would surely have at least 4 nodes on the preserved portion, the only one missing would be the outer ventro-lateral node. :smile:

Reading the treatise just now, Anatexanites develops a 4th (lateral) node on later whorls, then it says it is a probable macroconch of Protexanites, so now dimorphism rears it's ugly head. :sly:

More of the same
i've found one more fossil today at the same place
But much more small.
The inhaler is for the proportion :heee:
5208527823_23298989d1_b.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back