jellyfish

Cuttlefish
Registered
could i please have an id on this octo many thanks

Attachments

• conv_304098.jpg
    conv_304098.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 107
I am guessing one of two. Are the back arms significantly thinner than the front? First impression would be briareus but the eyes make me go with the same Macropus (which also has the green sheen) subspecies as Beldar. Do you know anything at all about where it came from? If it is from FL, it will definitely be briareus but otherwise I will go with one in the Macropus complex. If you will look at the list of our octopuses for either 2008 or 2009 there are links to several briareus journals but here is one for SueNami for comparisons between the two.

Upvote 0
hi thanks for the reply dwhatley i was acually after a bimac and was sold this one as a bimac instead i have spoken to the lfs who will take him back.
You are correct it does have a nice blue sheen to it and very thin long rear legs, I have no idea where it came from.
out of intrest i have posted this already but had no reply ,do bimac's have the blue eye spots from when they hatch or do they develop over time if i knew this i would not have picked this one up .
many thanks
i dont think this octo has a big a webbing as suenami thou

Upvote 0
I assume they are born with them but it is unlikely you would find a wild caught animal that is too small to have them if they are not visible at birth. I have not kept a bimac because of the temperature requirements but I have kept a few hummelincki/filosis who also has false eyespots with blue rings. The ocelli are not always on display though (in either species) so you have to observe them for awhile sometimes. On the other hand, the one you have is definitely not a bimac and not from the northern Pacific. If you are not seeing extended webbing (they don't always display it though) then my guess would remain a species of Macropus. Unfortunately, both the briareus and the Macropuses are nocturnal. Most nocturnal species will have very prominant, very separated eyes. The briareus can be convinced to come out in the early evening and some have had the Macropuses active during parts of the day but Beldar remained stricktly nocturnal.

Upvote 0
Thats not a bimac. I have kept one. Do you know the temp requirement? It should be about 63f for a bimac. So i wouldnt change the temp because it is really hard to get a bimac in the pet trade. So dont change it because he looks tropical and he will freeze. I am also pretty sure he is not a bimac.

Upvote 0
jellyfish;147248 said:
many thanks for taking the time to get back to me. However i did order a bimac so bimac it is thanks again

Implying that you already traded him/her in? If you ordered a Lambo but were given a Ferrari, this would not make it a Lambo :wink:

Upvote 0
My point exactly ob i ordered a bimac and was sold the wrong species. as per your lambo and ferrari comment if you read my last posts i mentioned the fish store would take it back.
I dont see it as trading anything in i was sold the wrong species. Why should I settle for anything else than what i paid alot of money for in the first place.
Tell me (example) would you settle for a 12 inch tank when you paid for a 36 inch tank to house an octopus in just because you can still squeeze an octopus into it.
I simply asked what may seem as a stupid question to you because I had my doubts and simply did not want to end up with something i could not cater for rather than take it back after six months knowing it was wrong to start with.

Upvote 0
Woah! The pitfalls and shortcomings of written communication :wink: We are, indeed, in total agreement, no assumptions of stupidity in whichever query, whatsoever. I do hope you sort this out, however, with your LFS. Please, keep us posted on events.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back