ID request please 1

NZken

Hatchling
Registered
Hi there

Could you any one help me to identify this octopus. I took the picture at Jones Bay, Tawharanui Peninsula which about 60km north from Auckland. I would like to know which species of this octopus. I try to find from guide book but it is very confuse... I think ether Octopus gibbsi or Pinnoctopus cordiformis.

size: head 14cm leg 46cm total 60cm

He was in the Rock crevice at 2m deep water. Water temperature was 19 degrees. I took this photo at 19th April 2010.

Attachments

• conv_304195.jpg
    conv_304195.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 165
  • conv_304196.jpg
    conv_304196.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 150
  • conv_304197.jpg
    conv_304197.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 132
  • conv_304198.jpg
    conv_304198.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 140
Coming from the othere side of the world and just learning to ID them I'm still a slow at finding identifying parts. I didn't think O.gibbsi showed the skin tabs like on our GPO but looking at [video]http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?18734[/video]of a group of suspected O.gibbsi, there is one photo where you can see the same look on what looks to be similarly sized animal. The other O.gibbsi suspect thread is of smaller animals. Did you get a photo of the underside? Both threads show VERY orange undersides. I don't see the tell-tail white dots of the P.cordiformis.

Rereviewing the pictures, I don't think O.gibbsi as there is an exposure of the inside of the arm in the swimming photo and it shows white. One of the problem with using color though, is that it is not consistent. O.gibbsi may be able to show a white underside (I know O.hummelincki can show peach or white) but none of our in situ photos shows anything but very, very bright orange.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did anyone notice something odd about the next to the last photo? Look at the eye/iris. That photo does seem to show orange around the suckers and looks very much like the other O. gibbsi pictures.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back