ID request for my new octopus!

TomOctopussy

Hatchling
Registered
Hello all,

I just wanted to get some insight on what species octopus you think he/she might be. My LFS tried to tell me its a mimic and I know that can't be right... Please any knowledge would be highly appreciated

Attachments

• conv_305403.jpg
    conv_305403.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 168
  • conv_305404.jpg
    conv_305404.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 157
:welcome: to TONMO! (or welcome back if you are the artist Tom that went under a slightly different name in days of old :biggrin2:)

Is it nocturnal and usually a reddish brown? My first impression is an Indonesian species of Macropus like this one

Puddles (in the link) was a favorite but these are VERY nocturnal and you may find it difficult to establish a relationship (or even see it) until it is near the end of its life. If you go forward in Puddles' journal there is a video of her interacting during daylight.

Upvote 0
Nope, this would be my first account here! And yes it only comes out late at night (about 3amish) and is normally a dark reddish color but changes its color very easily... my LFS tried saying it was a mimic but I know that cant be right.. I believe he is a male because he curls his tentacles inwards and yes looks identical to puddles!!! such a beautiful octopus... (BTW what temperature does this specific species require??? I'm at 78) Thanks for all your info!

- Thomas

Upvote 0
78 is good, these are Indonesian so warm water.

Puddles was very interactive and not shy as long as you could associate on his time. Do take a few secs and watch his video. I also kept a female (Beldar) of this species with a similar experience.

The only ARM (with octopuses we make the distinction. Octopuses, cuttlefish and squid all have 8 arms but cuttles and squid have two tentacles that are quite different in use and physiology from the arms) you are interested in for determining sex will be the third arm to the right (clockwise if you orient your eyes with the octopuses). You may note that I had a hard time determining sex with both Puddles and Beldar

Upvote 0
Hello Tomoctopussy, welcome to TONMO :welcome:! No matter what you've got there, it's a beaut! Good luck with him/her, I'm looking forward to reading of your experience!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back