ID on my new Octo please?! Possible Cyanea?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone recognized the species..I live in North Florida, but LFS owner says it came from the island of Sabu, in the Philippines...not sure what to make of it. Mantle length is roughly 2 inches, tentacles long with little webbing. Seems to be active from the early morning hours till noonish, but very active and shows little fear of me.
DaisyJuneOcto%20006.jpg

m_a325094e7d571ff3aa290840ed2309b9.jpg

m_c3c4e62b2214e835301674277ae68ff5.jpg

m_5a78ae9078ed7d36164f5806a053aeb8.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Joey Young

I just looked at pictures of Luteus and everything adds up-i think youre right Shipposhack. His white spots sometimes shine iridescent green, just like other pictures ive seen of Luteus...

Upvote 0
Callistoctopus luteus....with jetlag. They're usually strictly nocturnal, and we tend to see them foraging over mixed sand/mud/rock substrates between the intertidal and about 10m deep. I've never caught one actually eating, but my guess is they would go for crabs, although they might take clams as well. They are probably closely related to C. ornatus, which commonly eats other octos.

Upvote 0
Anybody know roughly how big they get? Not a whole lot of info available on the net for them...Thanks for all the help guys, it was driving me crazy not knowing anything about the little guy...err gal-i havent seen anything on the 3rd right arm to indicate a male.

Upvote 0
Youngloki;102641 said:
Anybody know roughly how big they get? Not a whole lot of info available on the net for them...Thanks for all the help guys, it was driving me crazy not knowing anything about the little guy...err gal-i havent seen anything on the 3rd right arm to indicate a male.

Body 13 cm, tentacles 80 cm, according to this site... http://www.edge-of-reef.com/cefalopodi/CEFOctopusluteusen.htm

80 centimeters is exactly 31.5 inches.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back