Attachments

• conv_304582.jpg
    conv_304582.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • conv_304583.jpg
    conv_304583.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
:welcome: to TONMO
Wow what an awesome pic, I love his work.

I can guess at what it is, but it would be just that, a guess, however, I'm sure Roy is poking around on here somewhere, I'll send him a message to be sure he sees this post.

Upvote 0
D. is correct. This animal was the subject of several days shooting. It was found in coral rubble that I collected at 30 m on the north shore of Moorea. It was taken to my lab in Berkeley where I photographed it. I must say it was the more remarkable octopus I have ever photographed. As for the species, I originally identified it as Abdopus abaculas. However, Crissy Huffard described a similar species from Tonga as Octopus gorgonas. A. abaculas is usually found shallow, O. gorgonas deeper, so we now believe that this is A. gorgoas. In the original description, it was in the genus Octopus, but it probably should be moved to Abdopus. Here are a couple of other shots of it - same animal.

Roy

Attachments

• conv_298865.jpg
    conv_298865.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 109
  • conv_298864.jpg
    conv_298864.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back