ID Octopus from Nicaragua

Hello Tonmo, Dylan from ReefScavengers here, was referred by a few members via email inquiring about the species we offer for sale. The octos we get are imported from Nicaragua, and although we have been getting two separate species from them, only one is specified on their wholesale list, "Octopus bimaculatus". It has come to my attention that this may be the correct ID on one of them, and the other is most likely macropus. Figured i'd ask the experts!

Octopus bimaculatus:
bimac.jpg

Octopus macropus:
octopus.jpg

If you guys can confirm that would be great, we really want to get as much info on these guys as we can, as well as an acurate species ID for our customers. Thank you all!

The bottom one certainly isn't a bimac, I can say that much... a macropus or a closely related species does seem about right. I don't see eyespots on the top one at all, but it may just not have been showing them at the time... most bimac pictures seem to show them more yellowish and smooth, and the posture doesn't seem so bimac-y, but the folks who have kept bimacs are probably a lot more familiar with the range of their looks than I am. The skin texture seems vulgaris-y but I think bimacs can do that when they feel like it.

Upvote 0
I believe one of our members received the top one recently and felt it was the less common bimac or Hummelincki. This thread has some of my pictures of my Hummelincki and may help you confirm or rule out this species (both bimac species and the Hummelincki have a blue eye spot). If you know the water temperature from its home, it may also help as the bimacs tend to be cold water and the Hummelincki warm water species. I know the Hummelincki has those deep blue rings around the suckers but I don't know if that is also a common feature in the bimacs.

[Octopus]: - Octane - O. Hummelincki (filosus)

Upvote 0
I do not think the first is Bimaculatus. I do not know what species it is, but it seems to be a little fatter and have shorter arms than a Bimac; also the eyespots are not visible and should be. If you can get another picture from a different angle (side would probably be best) where his mantle is not blocking his body it will be easier to tell whether he does or does not have eyespots. IME, the eyespots will always be somewhat visible, even during all forms of camouflage.

Upvote 0
I agree. I dont beleive this is any kind of common bimac. Although you could tell better through simple observation. Mine, when stressed, would turn a startling black color, does this one do that?

Overall, the body shape and posture really doesnt seem very bimacy, just as others have said.

Upvote 0
Octodude;114257 said:
I agree. I dont beleive this is any kind of common bimac. Although you could tell better through simple observation. Mine, when stressed, would turn a startling black color, does this one do that?

Overall, the body shape and posture really doesnt seem very bimacy, just as others have said.

Lots of octos turn black. Color changes and patterns really aren't that much help with identification. Location of collection, eyespots or lack of, and bodily proportions are what you need to compare.

From all the octopus species that would be anywhere remotely near Nicaragua that I could find pictures of, none of them looked much like that. Cephbase.org would be the best place to look but it's not functional right now. Considering the location though, I would assume it is O. vulgaris which is consistent with the wide range of skin textures and colors.

Upvote 0
Also useful would be when it is active. Is it nocturnal or more active during the day? What is the mantle length and what is the arm length?

It might really help if you could get a decent photo of the eyespot, but this is not always easy.

An interesting looking octopus. It would be good if you carried octopuses that didn't grow too large.

Nancy

Upvote 0
We need a picture of the side of the head, the space between the eyes and base of the arms. After staring a bit more I question as to whether or not I see eyespots. Larger pictures if possible please.

The green highlights are interesting.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back