ID needed for an old octo

forever27

GPO
Registered
Hi guys, I had this octo for about ten months, and he recently died. It was a male, and he stopped eating for a few weeks and then eventually died. I got it from the LFS I work at, and the invoice lists him as a "Bali Octopus," so I never really knew what species. The mantle was about 2 inches, give or take, with long arms, probably around 8 inches or so. He was diurnal. He had decent color changing abilities too, however he was better at changing texture. Any help IDing would be great, I've got a new one, just no pictures yet. Thanks.

Attachments

• conv_303468.jpg
    conv_303468.jpg
    895.9 KB · Views: 127
  • conv_303469.jpg
    conv_303469.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 123
  • conv_303470.jpg
    conv_303470.jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 161
  • conv_303471.jpg
    conv_303471.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 155
forever27;130280 said:
Isn't that the Bali bi-pedal octo?
Yes, that is the one Mucktopus (Dr. Christine Huffard) studied and filmed walking bipedally (as well as its mating habits). :biggrin2: They have been (or other members of the adopus complex) one of the most available octopuses for the aquarium this year, however, reports of bi-pedal locomotion are limited to non-existent in the captive environment.

Upvote 0
ah! Ok, thanks for all of your help. I had a thought it was one of those awhile back, but disregarded it. The new one I have could possibly be O. bocki, but I'm not sure. When I get pictures I'll have a new thread up for that one too! Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
I agree with D that he was an A. aculeatus that died at a ripe old age. It's interesting to see that the enlarged suckers were much bigger on one side than the other. Had the arms on his right side (with the smaller suckers) regenerated while you had him?

Upvote 0
Lesson #1 (don't look at my first octo posts or you will see I was a little slow). Octopuses have 8 arms (in spite of recent observations about some of them being legs). Squid have 8 arms and 2 tentacles.:old:

Upvote 0
It would be very hard to find anyone on the forum who has not used the terms interchangably at some point. Seeing videos of squid and cuttles (who also have two tentacles) in action, makes the reason for the distinction is very clear. Read through (and look at the videos and photos) some of the Journals for the cuttles. Unfortunately, our squid experts play with dead things (sorry Kat) as the squids have not proven aquarium acclimatable (is that a word?).

Upvote 0
Yes I wasn't thinking when I typed that I guess. Being a biology major, that's embarrassing haha. But thanks for helping me ID the old guy. I looked for months and it took me a day to ID to find it on here. Also, I'm about 98% sure the new octo is O. mercatoris. Here's a terrible picture i took with my phone. haha I'll get a better one soon, if he ever comes out. Hopefully he's not 8 months old already. He is eating fiddlers and ghost shrimp though.

Attachments

• conv_293616.jpg
    conv_293616.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back