ID my new friend?

Discussion in 'ID Requests' started by sedna, Jan 16, 2009.

1. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

So the guys at the LFS said this octo came from the same place as my last 3 aculeatus, but they couldn't be more specific than that. It's not very big, the mantle is about 2 inches, the arms are long and spindley but all together it could sit in the palm of my hand. It looks a lot like the picture on p. 138 of Nancy and Colin's book. Any takers?

Attached Files:

2. Taollan

Taollan Vampyroteuthis Supporter

It looks rather Octopus macropus-ish to me with the reddish coloration and large white spots on the arms. , so my first guess is something in the macropus species complex. Any idea where (s)he was collected? that would help greatly.

3. sedna

Not positive where it came from, just "the same area that the aculeatus came from- near the Phillipenes" is the best they could tell me. Looks like the pictures on pp. 87 and 138 in Nancy and Colin's book. They said that they have seen it eat crayfish, in the open during the day. It isn't much bigger that a crayfish itself. Do macropus get large?

4. sedna

It is very red, and the spots on the arms are iridescent blue...

5. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I am going Bocki - look for some black spots on the underside of the body. Unfortunately, if I am correct, it is an adult. Look or enlarged suckers for a male. Females lay small eggs.

I will guess further since I have no reputation to defend and suggest it is female (from the fullness of the mantle) and that you will likely need to keep the hatchers accessable for another small egged trial.:goofysca:

6. sedna

Cool, so it's either a giant dwarf or a tiny giant. I'll throw in some jumbo shrimp and we'll call it oxymoron stew! Anyway, this bad boy was out last light- very friendly after 11pm. Can't list any more color distinctions because I was viewing under red lights. It was still out this morning at 8, but went to bed 1/2 hour later. The front two arms are stupid long compared to the rest of it, it just seem "daintier" than the aculeatus I've had. It doesn't look grown into it's suckers or something... it moves like an awkward teen- ager!

7. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

Just a guess for the sake of throwing it out there... O. luteus.

8. DWhatley

Sedna,
    If he is out this week, get a tape measure (we already know you have the typical female's perspective of size :sly:) and see if you can get a measurement of the arms and the mantle. The current length (possibly eliminating some dwarf species) and proportions may help ID Thing 2.

9. Taollan

I have never seen O. bocki with such large white spots on the arms (http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/i...e-taxon=Octopus+bocki&title_tag=Octopus+bocki). As for the size if it is in the macropus species complex, O. macropus sensu stricto gets very large, but there are quite of few smaller examples, and several undescribed species in this species complex. O. luteus is in the macropus species complex, so I think Animal Mother is onto something there. O. luteus is a smaller species whose spotting pattern on the arm roughly match yours.

10. DWhatley

From your photo group, the arms appear far to short proportionatly for Thing 2 to be bocki. Is there a macropus that shows the blue green iridescence (note the eyes and Sedna's note that says the spots also show this highlighting).

I found this O. luteus photo that would suggest a better arm match and has tons of iridescence.

11. sedna

I'll buy that for a dollar! This dude may be very nocturnal, but it stays up until 8:30 am, which means that for the duration of this animal's life my kids will be late to school...

It spent a good half hour with me this morning, and with more ambient light I could get a better look. NO black spots anywhere on this guy. The front arms look so long proportionally to the rest of the arms and body that I looked really hard to make sure the rest aren't growing back from injuries. Unless ALL 6 of the other arms were lost at the same time, it just has really long front arms (Mike Phelps!). It's webbing is not terribly extensive, like the aculeatus I'm used to.

I had the boy at the LFS measure the mantle at the store while it was in the critter keeper, he got 2 inches. I'll try to measure the arms to get some proportions.

My copy of "Norman's" is on it's way. D, I'm not waiting for it as a gift from John, the man got me a TOASTER for Christmas! He even saw the warning video. Hence, 2 new octos and a good book in late January!

12. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:razz: I got a toaster last year...

13. DWhatley

...Think I will KEEP Neal :mrgreen:

14. forever27

forever27 GPO Registered

This looks just like the octo that I'm trying to get ID'd for myself. Mine's nocturnal but is out in the mornings as well. Does yours sometimes turn that same iridescent blue that you described as the spots? I got mine about two months ago and he's growing quickly, I don't think he's a dwarf. He's getting pretty big. What size tank is yours in?

15. DWhatley

I knew there was something familiar about those loooong arms and Muctopus mentions the longer forarms in another, related species (all part of the night octopus - macropus complex - group) in Forever27's journal

16. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

A bunch of these have come in recently. I got one myself. Haven't had much time for pics or ID's. IT does seem to do a lot of bold striping on the mantle - just one thick white stripe (I guess I have to name it jack).

E - are the spots on the arms visible all the time? The one I have seems to only have the spots only when its stressed.

17. sedna

Well, that's cool to hear that someone else has one of these babies! I just got my copy of Mark Norman's book "Cephalopods, a World Guide," today, and I'd say my octo doesn't have as much webbing as the pictures of O. luteus. It looks more like some of the macropus complex, the photo of O. macropus on p. 249 (the LFS was sure it isn't from the Caribbean), and most especially like the "Octopus sp. 11" on p.255. The mantle of the one I have isn't very pointy or oblong, more round.

The spots are always visible, it seems like the skin around them changes from red to white. The spots always look iridescent blue (filtered through red light, that is), but the intensity of them changes. I don't think the whole animal ever gets blue, though. The spots may be smooth or bumpy, but that is the extent of the texture. It does get a skunk stripe down the center of the head, but it's not always there, more of an aggression display. As a Motor City girl, I whole- heartedly agree that Jack is a great name for yours, Rich!

Elise measured it yesterday morning, and got 6 1/2 inches for mantle to arm tip. I completely trust her results, diabetic from 3 yrs, she's been dealing with numbers and measurements since she could count. But when I asked her WHICH ARM she measured... that was a different story. It's mantle is no longer than 2 in. The tank it's in is 55 gal., so if it gets too big I'll be looking for an aquarium to donate it to...

I'm not sure what time it wakes up, after 11:30 pm for sure. It is up in the morning and so far you can set your watch by it's bedtime, 8:30 am. It does hang out in the morning sunlight in the tank a bit.

Time to start a journal soon!

Attached Files:

18. Taollan

Leg length on those new pictures you posted shouts macropus complex.