ID Help - Larval Octopus from Southeast Florida, USA

Linda I

Hatchling
Registered
Hi, I know this is difficult, but can anyone provide an ID for this larval octopus? It was found during a black water dive in the gulf stream off the coast of southeast Florida. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• 08182016_062.jpg
    08182016_062.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 08182016_048.jpg
    08182016_048.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 156
Way out of my league here (I CAN say it is not O. briareus :grin) but I will guess this is a squid and not an octopus because it looks like the mantle is not dorsally attached and there are more colors than we usually see on octo hatchlings. However, I do not see any sign of a fin and would expect one if it is a squid.

After looking at tons of images, I think it is indeed an octopus and not a squid. The most common would be O. vulgaris but I am no sure how you would go about IDing the species.

@GPO87 @Tintenfisch ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Way out of my league here (I CAN say it is not O. briareus :grin) but I will guess this is a squid and not an octopus because it looks like the mantle is not dorsally attached and there are more colors than we usually see on octo hatchlings. However, I do not see any sign of a fin and would expect one if it is a squid.

After looking at tons of images, I think it is indeed an octopus and not a squid. The most common would be O. vulgaris but I am no sure how you would go about IDing the species.

@GPO87 @Tintenfisch ?

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was an octopus. There were also a lot of small squid in the water at the same time, but the look and behavior was different. The octo was shorter and fatter, with the tentacles curled around the body. The squid were longer and narrow, with the tentacles extended to the front, also moving around very quickly. Thanks for "looking at tons of images" and trying to come up with an ID>

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back