ID for Octopus from eBay

RennyRen

Hatchling
Registered
So in between struggling to get my cuttle eggs to thrive, I just bought an octopus off eBay... I know the pictures aren't so good, but here's what the seller provided to me

They said they were caught 10 miles from shore in the Gulf just west of Tarpon Springs, FL.

16229554829_d8eaff3e2a_o.png

16228133668_38e7a15cc8_o.png

Caribbean dwarf Octopus mercatoris. Nocturnal and not very active but I enjoyed keeping them for years and often have one in a small tank. This is a large egg species and if it is female and has mated it is possible to raise a few of the hatchlings (5 seems to be a good bet). Do a search for mercatoris in titles on the Journals forum and you should find numerous stories. We have not seen them much in the last few years but it appears they are making a come back and are starting to repopulate (possibly from an extreme cold spell in 2010). The newest journal is for Megamind, a hitchhiker caught in the Dominican Republic. Please consider journaling your new addition.

Upvote 0
Caribbean dwarf Octopus mercatoris. Nocturnal and not very active but I enjoyed keeping them for years and often have one in a small tank. This is a large egg species and if it is female and has mated it is possible to raise a few of the hatchlings (5 seems to be a good bet). Do a search for mercatoris in titles on the Journals forum and you should find numerous stories. We have not seen them much in the last few years but it appears they are making a come back and are starting to repopulate (possibly from an extreme cold spell in 2010). The newest journal is for Megamind, a hitchhiker caught in the Dominican Republic. Please consider journaling your new addition.

Exciting! Hopefully this little guy makes it then... I will never have an animal shipped USPS express again :\ Supposed to be delivered yesterday, but now he's out for delivery today when I'm not home, and they aren't answering their phone

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back