• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

i want to know everything

i just subscribed to this site after wanderin upon it in my aquarium research. i am very interested in getting an octopus, but im not sure where to begin. i have a 55 gal tank with only one cichlid left in it, and a 10 gal reef tank. once my cichlid dies, im hoping to set up the tank for an octo. how much MONEY would you say it costs to make the transition from frewshwater to saltwater? like, including the price of filters, protein skimmers, and the works. and for a begginer, what kinda octopus would be the easiest to care for?

Welcome to TONMO.com!

Click on the "ARTICLES" menu item just below the TONMO.com logo in the upper-left of the site, and you'll find a list of articles to get you on your way. Also try the Search function -- the info you're looking for is here!

:welcome: to TONMO!

The very first question for a freshwater-to-octo transition is whether you have ever used copper-based medication to treat fish in the tank. Cephalopods are very sensitive to this, to the point where any residue can be fatal.

If that's not a problem, the articles, as Tony said, should be helpful, and there's a thread/poll around (I think in "Tank Talk") that has itemized lists of how much money a number of people have but into their ceph setups. It's worth keeping in mind that unless you can collect your own food, though, it's almost always true that the main cost of keeping an octopus or cuttle is feeding it.

do alot of resaerch- tonmo is easily the best place to start, plus its quite uplifting to know there are so many other cephalophiles out there :smile:

55 gallon acrylic drilled with overflow $350
Stand and Canopy $300
20 gallon Sump $200
Good Protein Skimmer $300.00
70 Lbs Live Rock $280
30lbs Live Sand $80
Heater $80
Light $50
Return Pump $150
Misc. $100
This is probably the right way, you could get by with less.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back