I want to buy a Common Atlantic Octopus (Octopus vulgaris)

Hi all,

I had one for 5 months or so. He was doing great until I bought him frozen shrimp from a bait shop (dumb mistake) and two days later he, and the other fish that ate it, died. I'm thinking the shrimp was bad. Lesson learned at a high price. I miss that little guy. I never knew they had such personalities.

Sorry to bore you with all that. I'm REALLY interested in buying another of the same species. I came across this one from a diver.

Can someone PLEASE help me. The only reason I even set up a salt water tank was for him and now it's empty.

Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks,
Billy

There are quite a few places on the internet that you can mail-order vulgarus from. Unless you reallllly have your mind set on a OV, I would suggest a bimac, just for the fact that you can get one captive bred, so it will be about 2 months old so you will be able to keep it for a much longer time. Up to you www.octopets.com has the bimacs.

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com! Nice octopus you had.

O.vulgaris has plenty of personality. If you have a large enough tank to accomodate it when it grows to adult size, then this would be a possiblility for you. There are places that sell them online. Check out the impact of buying one this time of year - you might get a younger one in late spring.

The advantage of the bimac is that it can live in a 50 gallon tank and is captive bread. It is also available as most of the year. And it's a fun octopus to keep, too.

It concerns me that this is the second report of bad shrimp recently.

I always went to the best fish market in town to buy my shrimp for octo food and knew exactly how the shrimp was caught,processed and shipped to the store. It looks like we'll all have to take this route more often

Nancy

Thanks all...

That was a great site....thanks again all of you. I'll be reading info
on this site as long as I have my octo.....I never knew there were
so many people into them.

Later :heee:

hehe

I think I'm sticking with the vulgaris....I had a great experience with him...he really did amaze me.

Short story...

I had bought two fish and had them floating in bags....he came from under the rock , extended his arm and grabbed a bag and tried to bring it down....I walked over and poked him with a long tube yelling "no...bad boy"...like it was a dog or something...lol....he crawled back into his rock slowly......

as I sat on my bed watching TV I look over at my tank and he's got two arms reaching out for the bags and his eyes barely over the rock looking at me.....the moment he saw me looking he ducked.....well....this went on about five times before I realized how frikken smart these things are.....

He knew it was wrong and tried to defy me like a little kid....lol...cool sh*t..

Billy

Where did the picture you attached on the first message come from.. is it yours ?

Nance pegged it...you would have to wait until next spring for anything reasonable...
Bimacs are awfully neat animals...and every bit as quirky. besides, the whole captive-bred thing appeals to a lot of people.
greg

Billy the Kid said:
No Colin...I got that from a website. But mine looked just like that.

If your octo looked just like that then it wasn't vulgaris but Octopus briareus, that's why I aksed :smile:

Hi Billy,

The website is wrong on a couple of matters.

The size for vulgaris is a bit on the big side.
The range for vulgaris is much larger than suggested and
The picture is deffinetly briareus and not vulgaris.... but they do actually mention Briar's octopus (briareus) later on in the text, must have got mixed up?

LOL, yes i am just bit picking!!! :roll:

Online source for O vulgaris

So.... any online source for O vulgaris?

I've found 4 sites that offer octopus... ALL of them are the most commonly aquacultured O bimac....
which is a great choice... except for someone that wants their second, separate octopus that's not the same species as the other.

So.... any online source for O vulgaris?

seems to me that this is the wrong time of year...one or two might pop up, but I think you are better off waiting until april, or may to really look for one. You might want to contact a local store and see if they can ask their supplier to keep an eye out for one...best of luck!
greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back