• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I want a pet octopus

Kopffuss

Hatchling
Registered
I'm thinking of getting a pet octopus. I would like some advise about availability of species , life expectancy, cost and possible pitfalls I could run into. I am willing to put necessary time and effort, but I'm not willing to spend a ton of money for initial set-up. I've never kept a saltwater tank, so I'm wondering how difficult it is. I know quite a bit about octopus biology, but I know little about saltwater tank maintenance.
Any advice?

Cephalopod Care
Cephalopod Care
These are two good places to start the SEARCH button is also a great tool here. Research is they key to keeping anything salt water.

so I'm wondering how difficult it is. I know quite a bit about octopus biology, but I know little about saltwater tank maintenance.

So what species were you thinking of keeping?
This hobby is know to be pricy but if done correctly it does not have to waist your money. EBAY and classifieds is one of the best things for an aquarist with a budget.
I would like some advise about availability of species , life expectancy, cost
Bimac's are probably one of the most common species for sale. They are not to expensive around 30$ to 50$. You can expect them to live (if cared for) about 1 year possibly a little longer if kept around 68of .

Welcome to TONMO.com
JJ

I forgot to mention, buy a tank that is new or 100% posotive that copper has not been used in it. YOU CAN NOT WASH COPPER OUT OF A SYSTEM. COPPER WILL KILL A OCTOPUS

Hi Kopffuss;

Welcome to Tonmo, An octopus is a great pet however if you are inexperance with salt water it is not a very good idea to start out trying to raise one. The chemistry of salt water is much more complex than that of fresh water fish due to there anotomy and other factors. If you have lots of time then a saltwater tank can be mantained without lots of expensive equptment. I have very little time for water changes and matainance so I have a lot of expensive equptment. If you do water changes often (25% a week) a simple canaster filter and undergravel filter will do. However you will have to keep you eye on the levels in your aquarium. Do you all ready have an tank or are you going to buy a new one? The largest one possible with the least amount of fish will be the most sucsessfull. I would suggest spending $20-$40 and picking up a salt water fish for dummies or other begginer salt water aquarium book this will help out alot and make it easyer on you. The number one pit fall for begginers is over stocking the tank before it has a chance to cycle. Of course ask lots of questions and always be listening.

Pacific Blue :snorkel:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back