• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I need some advice

Miammy

Hatchling
Registered
So, I really want an octopus. But of course I'm worried about some things, and I have daubts, well, if someone could help me I'd be greatful.

- First of all is which octopus should I get. I mean, it can't either too small or too big. I really like the O. briareus but I'm not sure if they get too big. I'm fine with the size but I'm 16 and I don't know if my parents agree.

- The aquarium. My dad told me that a 10 gal aquarium is huge, really really big. And I don't know if it should be 10 gal or bigger, but I want to buy a good one so my octopus will be happy. It may be silly, but I've never had fishes so I know nothing about it, I onnly know that it should mature for 3 months. But is it ok to put random fishes in it or should I just leave it empty only with water?

- In case we stay without eletricity for a few hours, would the octopus be ok? it can happen to everyone, it could rain or natural disaster (although we don't have it here) or some random problem. What should I do and if I want to play with the octopus out of the aquarium, is it possible or how long could I be playing with it?

- The last thing would be changing the water. Should I simply grab the octopus or use something? And where do I put it while I do all this stuff?

So yeah I learned a lot already just by reading lots of topics here, and I'm really happy. So that's it, I hope what I wrote is not annoying because I'm wondering too much and lol that's it (:

The FIRST thing you need to do is learn how to take care of a saltwater tank. Octos are not a good first animal and you have quite a learning curve to get to where you need to be to be able to care for one. This will mean both reading and asking questions but you are an absolute beginner and the reading needs to come first. You need to learn about how to set up and maintain a marine tank and finding a good beginners book, reading it, THEN asking questions and then rereading important sections will be the best thing you can to to ensure your success. There is no short-cutting the learning process I'm afraid.

A 10 gallon aquarium is VERY small and too small for even a dwarf species. The typical use for this size tank in a marine environment is to raise or hold small live foods.

The animal does not leave the tank when you clean, do water changes, interact or any other activity. If it must be moved, it is moved in water, never out of the water. Water changes are done weekly and not the entire volume of water. For an O. briareus, a 55-75 gallon tank and a secondary tank (called a sump) is desirable so a 5-10 gallon water change weekly (5 weekly or 10 every other week) would be a normal maintenance consideration. As you read about maintaining a saltwater tank, you will also learn that you will need to "top off" the tank periodically (sometimes daily) with freshwater between the salt water changes.

Power outage is always a concern. If the tank is large enough, an hour or two is not a problem (the larger the tank, the more oxygen there is available). More than a couple of hours, however, is a concern and most people keep a backup, battery operated air pump to enable the carbon dioxide to leave and allow new oxygen (air) into the tank.

Please find a book and start reading. We will try to answer your questions but you have much more than 3 months of experience to gain before you will be ready for an octopus.

Also, while you are learning how to keep a salt water aquarium, you will have time to research which species of octopus are available in Brazil, and what their requirements are. Learn where you can buy food, how you an buy or make RO/DI water, and so forth.

Nancy

Hi Miammy! I hope you are still checking in and learning about octopus keeping! I had my first salt water fish tank when I was just about your age! (I started with a 10 gallon freshwater at age 8, with help from my mom.) If you love fish, octopuses, etc you will have a great time with this hobby!! The trick is to start slow. There is a lot to learn and even people like myself who have been keeping fish for years are still learning! :smile:There are many cool little fish that you can work with in a 10 gallon tank to start with! Then, after you've gotten the hang of caring for a tank, you can move on and up to more cool things including an octopus!

Remember to think about the cost. Fresh water tanks can be a great place to start! They are easier to keep for a beginner and the fish are much less expensive! It would probably be a good idea to check out some local fish stores. Maybe look for a smaller, privately owned store where you might be able to find a mentor. That was really helpful for me!

So, I suggest a little more research on different kinds of fresh and saltwater fish and the required care to keep them alive. Talk to an adult that can help you along the way if needed, and then have fun!!! Good luck!

Definitely check out your local fish store. That helped me A LOT! Also, start reading! Some books I got were "Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies" and "The Saltwater Aquarium Handbook" and "The New Marine Aquarium: Step by Step Setup"

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back