• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I Need Help Please

King__Jr

Hatchling
Registered
I am going to get a bimac octopus and i need to know where to by non harmful water and supplies can someone plz link wed sights they got filters, water, tank, pebbles /sand/rock for them to hide, water oxygenators. (Everything I need to succeed as an octopus owner). Also I was wondering what toos I should get for testing the salinity, copper levels. Also how should i clean the items I just listed if I need to clean them at all. Im. Also Im just a teen so i dont want to spend a fortune on this

Welcome to TONMO!

I am not an expert, but I'll get us started. I see several warning signs here o_O

You start out by saying, "I am going to get a bimac octopus" but then follow it up with needing soup-to-nuts information about what you need to do that, and wrap it up by saying "I don't want to spend a fortune on this."

If I take you literally, then I would say you should change your outlook to "I am thinking about getting a bimac" but you need more details to inform your decision.

Basically, the first rule is, don't rush into becoming an octopus owner. It's a long process, and starts with setting up your tank and allowing it to cycle for several months, before ever adding an octopus. See our articles on Ceph Care.

As you will see in these articles, you'll want to know your budget also. Suggest you read these articles and peruse our forums (and the Search feature is your friend)! After some study, you'll be in a better position to know whether you're really on board for this journey.

If so - great! We're here for any and all questions along the way, and will be happy to assist in your journey - and learn along with you!

Keep us posted. :smile2:

Tony has given you some good advice.

You have a lot of work to do in setting up a tank before you get to the stage where you can add an octopus. Read through the articles here at Tonmo.com to get an idea of what you need to do and buy. Perhaps you can buy a used tank.

Tony is right, you have some things to consider before starting this venture.
First of all, this is not a good tine for shipping an octopus. Weather is too cold and undependable and there are shipping delays. Spring is a better time for ordering an octopus.

Then there is the cost. Tanks and other equipment can be expensive, but so can food.
Octopuses will need at least some live food. You will need a source of live food at the time your octopus arrives. How will you handle this?

Be patient, do a lot of reading (including the accounts of octopus keepers in the Journals in the Forums) and see if this is really for you. And then you might consider
another species, since bimacs are had to find.

Nancy

Last edited:
@tonmo @Nancy
Thank you for your input,

I have read lots of the forms that you have told me to and i am still interested in getting an octopus and I'm most likely going to start building my tank sometime this winter so i will have enough time to cycle the tank for a few months I purchase the octopus.

I am still confused on weather or not I need a sump tank or if I could somehow work around that.

Are there any parts that you would recommend for a 45-50 gallon tank.

As far as I am concerned there is no way around a sump system at 45-50g. Octos are very messy eaters and the waist will be more then the water/system can handle. Maybe if you were a much more experienced salt water keeper but it would be very difficult. With the fact that octos like to play with everything you want as little equipment in the tank as you can. My suggestion is to buy a used reef system. This will give you most of the equipment you would need accept for a chiller. Bimacs need cold water. If your buying all this new your going to spend a few thousands. Hence the reason I say used. Having never kept a Bimac I am not the one to talk about what they need but I have kept many tropical ones and eccept for the cold water I think its the same. Also buy a running reef so you get rock, lights, skimmer, sump, heater, pumps, ECT. Craigslist is good for this. Also do your self a favor and go bigger then 45/50. the more water and rock the better. Temp changes and waist happens slower the more water you have. maybe a 75/90g. Next you need to understand the Bio system of a salt water system. Also you will need an RODI. TDS meter. Test kit and understanding what they mean
What so many dont understand is you are creating a complete eco system in a glass box. A complete ocean in your home. I am not saying its difficult! In truth once you know what your doing its quite simple but you must understand it because if you dont it will be a dead box of water.

A good reef buddy of mine said we dont keep reefs,corals and fish. We keep water!!!
Hope this helps.

Truth is you can use anything from a bare aquarium to a sectioned off sump. As long as you have a place for filter socks or filter pads your fine. I use both. My 90 has an open sum with another small tank in it for cheato. This sump uses socks "All my sumps use socks accept my 8g bio cube" This sump is about 30g but only has about 15g in it to leave room for a power outage.Plenty of room for skimmer, heater. return pump. Carbon bag and GFO reactor. this is a mixed reef thats been running for several years.My 93 cube has a sectioned sump about 25g with about 15g in it. Most reef people like a sectioned sump better then an open sump because you can keep your skimmer in the same water height of water so its better to dial in the skimmer and get it to work proper. If you use an open sump you have to make sure you keep your top off water right.
My 40g has a sectioned sump and my 8g bio cube is an AIO so the sump is built in.

For a newbe in the salt water I am still going to say go big. I know it sounds weird but its simpler to keep a bigger tank then a smaller one. Keeping salt water is all about consistency!!!! I am going to say that again Consistency is key. Keeping everything even. Temps,salt, parameters. All of this matters. A small system changes temp rather fast. The ocean never changes temp more then a degree or 2 in a week. Your trying to do the same thing.

All of them are good products. But before you pull the trigger on any find a tank first. You might find one that comes with a good skimmer, sump and hopefully it will be drilled so you dont have to use an overflow system. 3 out of 4 of my systems are drilled and its just simpler and less hassle.
My 90 is not drilled and it seems about every 3 weeks my overflow slows down and I have to restart it. I have used them for many years and they are fine but if you can find a drilled tank do it.
Also if all your ever going to keep is octos then that sump is fine. If your thinking about doing coral at a latter date then dont buy a sump set up with bioballs. They are nitrate factories which is fine for an octo but corals dont like it.
Something more like this
Ruby Sump 30 - Trigger Systems

Again if there is not thought to ever keep anything besides octos then that sump set up is fine

@sirreal

Tank:

Is this sump good for coral bc i wana put coral i it to
Trigger Systems Crystal Sump - 30 inch - Marine Depot how would i set the sup up in this sump, 55 gallon tank from my LPS, the same protien skimmer, this pump Cobalt MJ900 Powerhead ,im going to drill my own hole and use this intrnal overflow box in extra small size CPR Retrofit Overflow Box

Please tell me if im missing any thing for this sump and di i need a BSR carbon/ GFO reactors?

And do i need RO waters

Do you know a good plce to buy live rock that has places for an octo to hide?

Last edited:
Yes you need an RODI system. Hauling water around is a pain.
Both of those sumps are good. You say your going with a 55g which is fine but you need to match sump to the tank. If your doing a 55g 4' tank they are only about 12" deep "front to back". You dont want a sump deeper then your tank
As fare as what do you use instead of Bio balls you use more rock. I dont really have the time to explain the hole bio system of how waist is processed but I am sure you can look that up.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back