• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I made a HUGE mistake! Please help me fix it!

yeah i went today and i bought a book on marine aquariums.

But i kept the live rock out of water for i while so can it die? or what?

My first name is Mike

Funny thing about live rock, Mike.

After I broke down my first cephalopod lab, I put all my live base rock into an empty 5 gallon bucket- no water- and left it for about two months.

For those of you keeping score at home, that's two months of being bone dry- not even damp.

When I reinstalled the rock in my new and improved home cephalopod laboratory months later, two new and very very marine lifeforms immediately sprang from one of the rocks. One is a neat blue sponge that, while headquartered on the liverock, has managed to 'infest' everything else in the tank and still throwves to this day. The other things are these curious black and yellow hookworms. They are very reclusive, and only come out when there's octopus middens to scavenge.

It's like Dr. Ian Malcolm said in Jurassic Park: "Life finds a way"

To answer your question, you SHOULD keep it wet at all times. :biggrin2:

Cheers, Jimbo

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back