I just got an Octo yesterday, can you help me ID please?

Jojoyojimbi

Hatchling
Registered
IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

he came from the east coast of florida, near riveria beach from phil foster park. I caught him myself and he's missing an arm that looks like it's growing back already, last night he ate one of the blue legged hermits in the tank and this morning he was hiding out completely unseen

he doesn't have much of any webbing between his arms, so i don't think it's a vulgaris, any ideas?

how large is it? I don't see any eyespots, but from those angles I'm not sure I would. The lack of webbing probably rules out briareus. Does it show any other patterns or textures?

Upvote 0
monty;120913 said:
how large is it? I don't see any eyespots, but from those angles I'm not sure I would. The lack of webbing probably rules out briareus. Does it show any other patterns or textures?

it's usually smooth like that, but earlier this morning it was showing some texture, bumps and such, i haven't seen anything approaching an eyespot on him/her, mantle is 1 3/4 - 2 inches or so, full extension tip to tip, 12-14 inches or so i'd guess

Upvote 0
I am going to take a shot on this one and say Vulgaris by comparitave looks and process of elimination. Here is a link to my slide show that includes several shots of the Vulgaris at Mote (TONMOCON II). This is Carol's close up picture of one of the pair. At the time of the photos, these two had been at Mote for a year. The Vulgaris do not seem to show much webbing (you may be thinking of the briareus which has a beautiful web that can extend almost the full arm). The photo shows none of the marking of Hummelincki. Octane can look very similar in his bland mode but I have noted a frilled edge on his mantle openings that does not change and the photo does not reflect any sign of even this marking. The other most common Caribbean octo, the mercatoris, is a dwarf species and can also be ruled out.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back