I joined the team!

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Dobrzemetal, Sep 19, 2009.

  1. Dobrzemetal

    Dobrzemetal Cuttlefish Registered

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    Just sat down after 10 hours of learning how to set up the aquarium. Im happy with the aquascaping job I did and the overall quality of the tank (55gallon). Although my wallet is hurting pretty badly, I think I made a good investment that will bring alot of enjoyment. I only have 1 picture at this point, but tomarrow, when the small particulate and salt settles I will take some more pictures after we annihilate Tennessee. So far I have 2 damsels(my girlfriend has already named them) in there with about 75% dry rock and the other 25% purple coraline live rock, with the main peice in the center that is really cool!. I Also picked up one of the newest octopus protein skimmers that I will be using once the tank is up and going. Untill then I will be hanging out. :cool:

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Tommycs

    Tommycs Wonderpus Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    0
    I like your somewhat different take on the Aquascaping. Assuming your going to be adding an octopus eventually, Make sure it has enough places to hide.
     
  3. CaptFish

    CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    Messages:
    2,832
    Likes Received:
    96
    Location:
    South Florida
    :grin: very nice
     
  4. Dobrzemetal

    Dobrzemetal Cuttlefish Registered

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    After doing some thinking, I decided to add more rocks like you said. I also changed a bulb to an acitinic, trying to get that coralline to grow eventually. Anyways, I think this is it.

    [​IMG]
     
  5. Tommycs

    Tommycs Wonderpus Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    0
    Looks even better now. So what do you plan on keeping in it? It is a little on the small side for a Briareus.
     
  6. Dobrzemetal

    Dobrzemetal Cuttlefish Registered

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yea, I would like a briareus its really depending on what is available when i'm ready for him. I think I may be able to catch one in the wild because I don't live to far from the keys so, we will see what happens when the time is right. I'm just happy right now with 4 damsels and 3 hermit crabs, Although there is one damsel (I named Richard, because hes a dick) that is a total bully that I may have to remove. If not, I will make sure he is Octo food and save the others.
     
  7. haggs

    haggs Vampyroteuthis Supporter

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2008
    Messages:
    384
    Likes Received:
    64
    Location:
    Coffs Harbour N.S.W.Australia
    Thats normal for a Damsel, they can quite often be agressive to everthing else in the tank.
     
  8. bluespotocto

    bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    Messages:
    505
    Likes Received:
    0
    If you are going to keep an octo it would also be good to have some small pepples of shells in the sand. They like using them to build there den and use them for doors.
     
  9. Dobrzemetal

    Dobrzemetal Cuttlefish Registered

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    0
    I guess ill throw some other shells in there, so far all I have put in there is bigger hermit crab shells from the craft section in michels because I hear they will kill each other for their shells when they grow bigger. Also, Do you guys think a hummelincki would be better then a briareus for the size tank?
     
  10. DWhatley

    DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Messages:
    19,085
    Likes Received:
    1,131
    Location:
    Gainesville, GA USA
    55 would do well for hummelincki or aculeatus but is really too small for a full grown briareus (my 65 split is a bit too small as well but I would still get another as the tubes add some length and I have a 35 gallon sump).
     

Share This Page