• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I have some beginner questions

a normal level for keeping any tank?
IMO that is pretty high, If my tank was at 15ppm I would be freaking out.....
I try to keep mine from 0-5 but its usually closer to 0, anywhere over 5 and I start getting nervous

Look, this is no way to keep an octopus. You need a well-cycled mature tank. You need to return this octopus to the local fish store where you bought it. It was irresponsible of them to set you up like this for octopus keeping.

Octopuses can't tolerate much ammonia at all. They area also very sensitive to nitrites, as other posters have mentioned.

What are you going to do?

Nancy

Swimdude776;100031 said:
well as i said its only 15 ppm.

which is a normal level for any tank.

No way is 15ppm normal. I work in a public aquarium (& university Marine Laboratory) and although we mainly have open flow through tanks, we do have one or two on recirc and consider that we're in serious trouble if nitrates get up to 5ppm.

You need to remember that an octopus is an animal that will produce ENORMOUS quantities of waste, far more than an equivalent sized fish, plus they're very messy eaters so the bioload on the tank is very large and thus it needs to be chemically very stable BEFORE you add an octopus. No matter how much cycling junk you put in it, it will not be stable for a some time, especially with an octopus in it.

OK so you can't take the octopus back, so you are going to have to be exceptionally vigilant with your water quality parameters, and jump on any bad changes immediately. Read the octopus care pages on this site, they are really very good.

BTW if he is indeed a vulgaris, then a 65 is going to end up too small for him, these animals reach 24-36 inches in length. You need to start thinking about rehoming him, releasing him or upsizing your tank (if the latter then get it cycling ASAP!!!).

Sorry to be so preachy but 'tis a subject close to my heart.

and I'd give your LFS a right talking to!

J

OK I did a water check just now.

THe water nitrate is at about 5-10 ppm.

nitrite is zero.

PH is 8.0
.....so far so good.

And yes I am going to be vigilant on water changes and water monitoring.

I added 1/3 cap of prime to help bring down the nitrite and nitrate levels.

I think ill add one more before I leave work but i see no problems so far.

Heres a couple pics of him.
He seems happy he was walking around on the glass and swimming around and interacting with me and showing no signs of stress.

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

I wish you luck....You have been given some very real/wise/time tested advice. Not normal for an octopus to be so active so new to a tank. I would suspect he's uncomfortable.

Swimdude776;100040 said:
I added 1/3 cap of prime to help bring down the nitrite and nitrate levels.

I think ill add one more before I leave work but i see no problems so far.

It won't help anything. Snake oil.

corw314;100042 said:
I wish you luck....You have been given some very real/wise/time tested advice. Not normal for an octopus to be so active so new to a tank. I would suspect he's uncomfortable.

he was very active at the LFS. he was always swimming there too.

A product that doesn't really do anything but sounds good so people buy it. The saltwater hobby is filled with such products, and mostly, people seem to buy them because it makes them feel like they are doing something instead of just waiting. :biggrin2:

well i have been checking the water for the first cycle.

As i said I think the tank will be ready for the guy. I spent a ton of money on cycling products and maybe the combination will help him out.

I have never heard of a case where such products actually did anything. The cycle still needs to happen and to stabilize.

The store wont take him back because he is a marine animal.

Will they hold him for you? Is there another store in your area?

Heres what ive done. I dont have another salt tank cultured that i could put him in but i have gone out and bought:

Live rock to help cycle.

Live rock often helps make the cycle happen as the live stuff on it dies during the transition to your tank.
Live Sand
Same as live rock, unless you bought it in a bag - then it is even worse.

"Prime" to get rid of ammonia
I believe that someone here mentioned that Prime and other decloranators are really bad for cephs of any kind. I don't use them, so I really don't know much about them.

And I bought enough bio-spira to treat 95 gallons. and i used them all for the 65 gallon tank the octo is in.

Most of these short cuts are not used by anyone but new aquarists, and generally result in a lot of frustration as they don't live up to their hype.

Keep lots of saltwater mixed up - maybe a 20% water change would be a good idea, considering the chemicals in the water now, and the ammonia level.

It might give your octopus some relief.

Also - what are you feeding your octopus? Is it eating? It should be eating live crabs or even pieces of thawed frozen shrimp.

Nancy

Hi

Firstly, welcome to TONMO.com and I hope you can see that people are not ganging up on you or being negative (except to the shopkeeper) People on this forum have the animal's best interests at heart... and yours!!!

I am shocked that the animal was sold to you in this way. Unfortunetly I think its chances of survival are slim to none. Do you know any experienced marine animal keepers near you who can help or as already suggested try another store? That first store has ripped you off! taken your money and ran, but also you should have done your research first! You may have wasted money as well as an octopus' life.

If you have any other marine aquarists nearby, see if you can scrounge a few handfuls of sand from their tanks as that will be full of all the bacteria you need to get your tank going...

Nitrate of 15 is normal, in a sense. But its only there because it came in with the water, so what i mean is that it is normal for tapwater. That '15' hasnt been 'made' in the tank it came with the water. DO NOT rely on that as being an indication that your tank has cycled!!!

There wont be any nitrite and Im not surprised, its probably because it is all tied up in ammonia just now which is much more harmful and even small amounts can be fatal.

You did in one day, which I recomend should take at least 3 months (90 days).

In the Nitrogen cycle of an aquarium, ammonia is produced by the animal and is very toxic, it is gradually converted into nitrite by bacteria and then less harmfull nitrate and then either taken out by water changes or reduced even further into harmless nitrogen by more bacteria.

No matter what elixers you are putting in your tank from bottles, like many experienced aquarists I have yet to se them live up to the claims.

Do you have an ammonia test kit? get one as a priority if you dont.

If you get any reading from that at all then you need to do a water change to dilute the toxins and make sure that the new water being added is at the same pH, salinity and temperature as the tank.

Your alkalinity is fine and not worth bothering about at this stage. You have a higher reading than the shop becaus eyou have just used new salt to set up, it will diminish over time...

Being active could be a sign of stress in a new octopus! Most new octopuses will sit in the huff for a few days.

You said you spent a ton of money and sorry to say but that shopkeeper seen you coming! I wouldn'd go back there again!

I wish you the very best of luck and anything, ANYTHING, you need to know then please ask here!

cheers
Colin

OK tank results for this morning.

This is the 4th day of the tank being setup.

The Octopus has been eating. Becuase I found One shell Of an emerald crab and tons of legs on the bottom of the tank today.

I cant find him, But i didn't tear the rock structure apart becuase i dont want to stress him.

Heres the test results:

Nitrate: 5-10 PPM
Nitrite: 0-.15 PPM
Alkalinity: 300
PH: 8.4

I bought a seperate test for ammonia this morning. Ammonia level came back at 0.

^ALL THIS DONE B4 THE WATER CHANGE^

I also did a 5 gallon water change removing water from the bottom of the tank were ammonia sits. I also suctioned the dead crabs pieces out of the tank too.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back