• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I have a wild caught baby bimac to give away

I've got a wild caught baby bimac to give away to anyone who can convince me they know how to take care of it, and is willing to pay a shipping company to ship it from La Mesa, Ca (91942 (near San Diego)). I'm willing to pack it in a Styrofoam box, in a bag with oxygen, and drop it off at the shipping location, but you'll need to find a way to pay the shipper directly, because it's not legal for me to accept any money (or anything else) in exchange for this animal, even as reimbursement for shipping expenses. If you have or set up a UPS account, I can ship it through your account, or UPS might have a "receiver pays" method of shipping.

If you plan to sell it, or breed it and sell the babies, then I can't give it to you under Ca law. Also, really, don't try to give me any money, or anything of value. I just want to give this little guy away.

I actually have two of them to give away to two separate people. One has a mantle length of about 1.25" and arms about 5" long. The other is slightly bigger with a mantle of about 1.5" - 1.75" and arms about 6" long.

If you want one, please tell me about your experience, equipment, and try to convince me that you'll be able to take care of one of these little bimacs. (either publicly, or via Private Message).

I emailed you a private message pertaining to your situation. Please let me know what you think or if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks
Frank

Sounds good. Figures it wouldn't hurt to ask and I'm sure since Joe is pretty local to me if he ever stumbles upon more I could possibly try to get one.

Update:
It took a couple of weeks to wait for the TSA to approve me to ship unaccompanied cargo (a bimac) on a passenger plane, and during that time one of the two planned recipients had a change of circumstances and had to back out, so I now (again) have one small bimac available. Does anybody want it? No cost, except that you need to pay shipping (see below)

I can ship to any airport that Southwest Airlines serves. the shipping costs about $75 (paid to Southwest by the receiver upon pickup) and it will go out on the next flight after I drop it off at the airport in San Diego.

The only other requirement I have is that you convince me that you are prepared to properly care for a bimac. I've kept this little bimac isolated, in local sea water and eating locally caught food, so if I can't find a suitable adopter in the next few days, I will release it back where I found it, with no danger of introducing any exotic diseases or parasites into the wild.

Contact me via PM, with a description of your experience and bimac ready setup if you would like this little guy and are willing to pay shipping.

Here it is, at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket (bucket diameter about 10"
C-Rad_Photos
babybimac.jpg

DWhatley;173992 said:
Joe, QUIT tempting me! :biggrin2: It looks like this little guy may be a male.

I hadn't noticed, but "he" does have his third tentacle curled up in that picture. Here's that part of the photo at max resolution. Is it conclusive for anyone? Male?
3rdtentical.jpg

How about I trade you yours for 30 hatchlings? :smile: The senior at Boston University just notified me that approximately 70 more have hatched since I went and picked up a batch 2 weeks ago.
Sue

Thanks for the offer, but there are two problems:
1) I'm not set up to care for a lot of baby bimacs, it it would be too much work for me to get set up.
2) It's against California law for me to sell, barter, trade, or receive anything at all in exchange for anything I catch under the authority of a fishing license. So trades are out.

I'm just looking to give away a small bimac if anybody wants it, and is able to take care of it. It sounds like you want the bimac, is that correct? Are you set up to take another one, of this size (1.75" - 2" mantle, 5" arms)

D you really should... if not then Sue you should try it. A critter keeper for a week or so would work till you could work it out. Come on these guys are FABULOUS! Isis gave me HOURS of laughter and smiles. I wouldnt trade it for anything.

LOL I was 90% kidding when I offered the trade. The ONLY way I could take that octo is if I found a home for several of these hatchlings. Otherwise, I have my hands (and tanks) full of bimacs already! If the three I have now (5 weeks old) survive I will need to get three tanks setup for adult bimacs and I told Sarah (the Boston student) that I would take some more of her new hatchlings and help her raise them/find homes for them.

So how many can I put you guys down for? :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back