• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I have a quick question here.

Lime

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hello everyone. I am new to these forums so I'm not sure if this is the right section but I think it is. Anyways, I currently have a couple yellow-belly slider turtles. I have not had an octopus yet but I feel I am ready to own and take care of one. I was just wondering, if I got an octopus, if I put it in the same tank as my turtles, would they fight each other or something? Thanks for the help from anyone who knows. :smile:

P.S. I am also considering getting a cuttlefish. I have the same questions if the cuttlefish would be okay in the same tank as my turtles and/or octopus.

Thanks,
~ Lime.

Ohh hmmm. I really didn't even think of that. Hah. Lol thanks Jean. Anyways, I do have a HUGE tank (100 gallon I think, it's my dad's) and I'm looking to buy some octopuses. Would you be able to tell me the best type to buy for a beginner with octopuses? Thanks.

Octopuses really aren't good for saltwater beginners. Have you kept any saltwater tanks? To answer your question a little better, all of the common octopuses have the same basic needs, so they have the same basic care requirements. They are considered an animal for an advanced saltwater aquarist for good reason. Knowing the in's and out's of saltwater aquarium keeping is mandatory before attempting to keep an octopus. That way when emergencies come up you have a really good idea of what actions to take.

Just for the sake of conversation, I'd have to add that even if the turtles were in saltwater I wouldn't keep them with an octopus or cuttlefish. They would be more than capable of taking a big chunk out of it whether just curious or in defense. Octopus flesh isn't very protective and turtle chompers are pretty strong and sharp. One incident would be fatal. There's a video on here somewhere of someones new cuttlefish resting in a tank with a porcupine puffer. I'd liken the puffers teeth to the jaws of a turtle. Well, the puffer took out the cuttlefish in about 5 seconds. It was pretty sad.

Thanks, Animal Mother, but I am not a beginner to salt water aqauriums. I have had many fish, hermet crabs, regular crabs, and many more different types of salt water sea life. So I know what I'm doing. Also, I ment beginner as in new to octopuses, not new to aqariums. And yeah, my turtle probably would take out the octopus because of the lack of bones or a skeleton.

Well, I didn't mean to come across as being rude. I just assumed that since you hadn't made the connection of octopuses being saltwater creatures and not being remotely capable of living with freshwater turtles, maybe you weren't that experienced or knowledgeable. I know that's what you're here for, so I want to be helpful.

Sorry if you felt I was being insulting. We don't know anything about you and your experience other than you were asking about keeping an octopus with freshwater turtles. This is cause for a bit of concern and just didn't strike me as something a knowledgeable saltwater aquarist would consider. We all started out in this hobby with little knowledge of what was what so I understand your confusion.

So for the sake of myself understanding your experience, what all fish/inverts have you kept and for how long? How big is the tank? What kind of filtration is on the system? If you can post some pictures to share with us we would love to see.

Um well, I don't have a camera atm, so I can't get pictures. And don't worry, I didn't see you as rude or insulting. I just simply forgot about the fresh water/salt water difference. I have had my fish and everything for a couple years. I don't have the filtration system anymore which is why I kind of got out of salt water aquariums. But I can get a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back