I had a dream...

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Tentacular!, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Tentacular!

Tentacular! O. bimaculoides Registered

Last night I dreamed that some friends and I were going for a swim in a waterhole. The waterhole was fringed by high cliffs (a crater lake I guess). I clambered over the lip of the crater before the rest of the group and clung to the rock, which was very steep. Looking down, I saw the water was quite a scary drop below, and an intense blue. But the wierdest thing was that on the surface of the water were floating lots and lots of squid, ranging from 1-6 feet in body length. I immediately decided that jumping from a great height into a lake full of large squid might not be such a great idea (although in retrospect it does sound like fun), and yelled at my friends to warn them. They ignored me and jumped, yelling and laughing into the lake. My fingers were getting tired with the effort of hanging on to the rock, and my feet were slipping. Just as I couldn't hold on any longer and started to fall, I woke up!!!

So, any budding dream interpreters out there who can tell me what this means? Anyone else having nocturnal cephalopodic encounters? :sleeping: :squid:

2. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Hmmmm.........no idea what your dream means. I sure it does not have to have meaning! Quite amusing in a disturbing manner though.

I once dreamt that I threw up gallons of milk and dead baby octopuses into a porcelain wash basin in my old school changing room. :yuck:

3. Tentacular!

Eeeeeewwwwww! That would be disturbing. Were the poor babies alive? Had you possibly taken a swig from a milk carton contaminated with octopus eggs? Perhaps you inadvertantly discovered a new species whose natural habitat is milk? This is linking uncannily into the "What kind of milk does cthulhu prefer" thread.

4. Tentacular!

Oooops. You said they were dead. Sorry Phil. Monday morning here. Still a bit out of it.

5. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:roflmao: :lol: :cthulhu:

6. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Let's see now, Squid, what could that symbolize?

Long, narrow, rigid, muscular, flanked by two rounded flukes, moves in both directions, aggressive, a bit scary but fascinating....

Nope, doesn't remind me of anything in particular.

:squid: :roflmao:

"Sometimes a Ceph is just a Ceph." -- Squidmund Freud

7. Tentacular!

I should have learned by now not to lay my subconscious down on the table for dissection. Often quite embarrassing. :oops: :lol:

8. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

:roflmao:

Apparently we birthday twins are more psychologically connected than we thought - but I'm glad I'm not the only one with dreams along these lines. Sometime within the past few months (you can confirm this with Steve, he laughed long and hard when I told him) I dreamt I had a baby lobster culture growing in my stomach, and I kept vomiting masses of squirming zoea. It was one of the most disgusting dreams I think I've ever had.

9. nanoteuthis

OMG. Kat, this is unbelievable -- you sure you haven't been reading any urban legends lately? Because several months ago I was browsing through the Snopes "Urban Legends" website (a topic that has always interested me) and came across the grossest, awfullest, most repulsive urban legend I've ever heard, and it bore a remarkable resemblance to your dream -- only much, much worse.

Good taste precludes my including herein a direct link to the story, but if you're morbidly curious about it, you can go to www.snopes.com, and type the words lobster brine shrimp into the search engine. But please note....

Reader Advisory: Rated NC-17 for adult content and EXTREME nausea factor! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Since the legend has no basis in fact (thank Poseidon!), I can only conclude that the "crustacean-spewing" archetype is common to all western cultures. What does it mean? I have no idea, but something tells me I wouldn't want to know even if I could.

Still dreaming about Archis :wink: ,
    Me

10. Tentacular!

I've heard about that one too. Beggars the imagination. But I guess if you REALLY love lobster.... Derailing train of thought now before permanent damage done.

11. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

I actually know someone who insists that that one is true...I have tried to explain to her several times that is not possible for lobsters to hatch inside a female orifice, but she is adamant!
    Its never happened to me. :lol:
    Greg

12. nanoteuthis

Maybe she's the one it really happened to, except she didn't die.

:mrgreen: :confused: :yuck:

13. cthulhu77

EEEWWWW! That is wrong on soooo many levels! Hmmm, come to think of it, I thought I saw naupli down there once...hehe :lol:
    Greg

14. nanoteuthis

Well, this post sent me directly to a search engine and now I know what naupli are:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/metamorphosis.html

Come to think of it, that's exactly what my friend's brother picked up at one of the local "recreational establishments" when the USAF stationed him in Bangkok.... :P

Aaaarrgh aaaarrgh!
    Mr. Krabs

15. cthulhu77

oh, he must have gotten them from the toilet seat, right??? :D

16. lithographette

lithographette O. vulgaris Registered

To take this thread back to its original topic and away from the purience it has drifted towards, as an amateur dream interpreter I have this to say about the original, which actually has its own level of passionate repose. In many different branches of psychology, water, and especially a body of water in which one would immerse oneself, has sexual connotations. This has more to do with the whole body experiance of floating or being submerged totally in another state than anything symbolic. The context of the body of water in your dream, its being surrounded by imposing cliffs, populated by an animal which causes you fear, would suggest that presently or in your future you are/will be faced by a romantic encounter to which you are not inclined, despite the approval and even encouragement of others. To put it bluntly, you may be invited to a liason with a person who many would find attractive, but you find distasteful for whatever reason. I say stick with your gut and stay out of the water!

17. Tentacular!

Awww, thanks Lithograpgette. I was sure that someone out there would have dabbled in dream interpretation
    Interesting. A distasteful liaison. Someone with bad B.O, perhaps? Or clammy squid-like skin? I better stay away from that 3rd cousin from Innsmouth.
    Sure thing. My gut and I will stay nice and dry until a tasteful liaison comes along. Thanks again!

18. cthulhu77

Drytail medication for hamsters works well on wet-gut too... :D
    Oh hells bells...cool dreams are fun, and if I tried to understand all of mine, I would be in a mental hospital!
    Wait. I am in a mental hospital!

"Nurse, nurse! Bring me my meds!"
    Greg

19. nanoteuthis

Hi Tentacular,

Seriously, I think Lith is on the right track, but I see dreams as revelations of the unconscious mind rather than prophetic messages.

I have numerous dreams about water, many of which involve Cephs. In many of my water dreams, there is a distinctly spiritual "atmosphere". And in my Ceph dreams -- usually involving Archis, kidding aside -- there is an initial experience of fear followed by acceptance, reverence, and awe for the creatures. Of course, in ancient cultures and religions around the world, water is seen as a symbol of rebirth, initiation, and spirituality -- and it is often seen also as a Divine Feminine symbol, in contrast to fire which is similarly seen as a Divine Masculine one. The "feminine" fluidity of water, combined with the phallic shape of Squid, may also represent the fact that spirituality and sexuality are two sides of the same coin. Again, this is a very powerful and very universal archetype: At one point in the Catholic Easter Vigil Mass, a tall ritual candle is dipped three times in the water font; in Hinduism, water is poured over a phallic-shaped stone called a Shiva-Lingam as part of a puja or sacred ritual; and several other spiritual traditions have similar juxtaposition of solid, subtly or overtly phallic objects and water.

There is an air of both vitality and mystery about Cephalopods, and also about water -- which of course is a basic necessity of life for virtually every organism on this planet. Whether or not you have a particular spiritual orientation, the water you wish to enter in the dream may very likely represent your desire to enter a deeper level of self-knowledge, to delve into a part of your psyche (perhaps an early memory) that you have not examined before. Or, because water may also represent your intuitive/emotional life (as opposed to your rational/intellectual life), it may symbolize your desire to "let go" a little more and express your feelings more openly.

The presence of the Squid in this context could be seen either as what you perceive to be impediments to this goal, or perhaps as the necessity to integrate your "inner male" with your "inner female". (I don't know your gender, but I believe that every emotionally healthy person has elements of both in their psyche, whether or not they acknowledge the fact.)

Please take this with a grain of (sea) salt, of course -- since I don't know your personal background, I cannot give an adequate explanation of what this dream might mean to you. While there are many archetypes that we as a species share, more specific meanings are unique to the individual, and ultimately can only be interpreted by him/her -- sometimes aided by the guidance of a therapist or the personal study of psychology, folklore, and symbolism.

At any rate, it's great that you remember your dreams so vividly. You might want to start keeping a Dream Journal to record those you remember, because a recurrent pattern in one's dreams is a message from the subconscious saying, in effect, "Pay attention, I'm trying to tell you something helpful about your life, your relationships, or yourself!"

Enjoy your nightly explorations!

Sweet dreams,
    Tani

20. nanoteuthis

PS: You might enjoy checking out the following fascinating essay on the Octopus as erotic symbol (I posted this link earlier on one of the TONMO Supporters threads):

(READER ADVISORY: Some adult content and images)

http://www.sandplay.org/octoarticle/octopus.html

(Apparently, "sandplay" is a psychotherapeutic practice involving the patient molding shapes and setting up scenes in a small sandbox.)

Tani