I got some bad news the other day

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by dragonfish, Mar 17, 2004.

1. dragonfish

dragonfish GPO Registered

:cry:

My good friend Flubber has passed away. I used to care for this little guy (an O. vulgaris) at aquatopia.

when I quit there, I dropped in every now and then to see how he was doing (really loved the little guy)

cause of death is somewhat unclear to me. I heard 2 different stories. either he crawled up the filteroutlet, or he had inked. the head aquarist wasn't around, so I hope to get details asap.

I'm kinda mad now because it was a great animal, who really interacted with people and because he still had his whole life in front of him. (in octopus years that is, I'm guessing he had 6 months to a year left)

it's flubber in the pic by the way

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Sorry to hear that :cry: We just lost our Mrs Henry but that was expected as she had laid eggs about 7 weeks ago and was looking like a palid wraith of an octi

J

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Sorry about Flubber, dragonfish. I remember you mentioning him before.

And sorry about Mrs. Henry too, Jean.

Wish they'd all stay around for a longer time.

Nancy

4. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

5. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Sorry... :cry:

6. KalihiBoy

KalihiBoy Blue Ring Registered

Sorry to hear that :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

7. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:( So sorry to hear about Flubber and Mrs. Henry!! (love that name! How did you come up with Mrs. Henry???)

They do live too short of a time! That is why I harrass mine constantly!!!

Carol

8. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Sorry to hear about Mrs Henry and Flubber. Do tell us what happened to Flubber when you find out. I guess we only have to blame their fast and furious lives.

9. dragonfish

dragonfish GPO Registered

Just read about mrs Henry. I feel sorry for you.

as soon as I get an update on the flubber-story, I'll post it.
    that will probably be next week.

10. Jean

Henry the octopus is a character that is often seen with a VERY popular childrens singing group called the Wiggles (Aussies will know these guys) our managers children named our octopus Henry, only she turned out to be a girl so Mrs Henry!

J

11. joel_ang

Interesting...

Dr. Octopus from spiderman next?

12. Jean

possibly, possibly we usually let children name them!

We do need a new one I hate going past that empty tank :cry:

J

13. joel_ang

What species ws Mrs Henry? Vulgaris? Any way you could get another one anytime soon?

14. Jean

Hi Joel,

Mrs Henry was a Pinnoctopus cordiformis A native NZ species (we don't get vulgaris here) and yep we'll be getting another! In fact we have one in our small pond but we haven't been able to catch her again :oops:

It's interesting but males we can catch in a crab pot, females we can't. If it's caught in a pot 9 times out of 10 it's male. If we are dredging then we can get the females. This one was caught in the research vessel's bottom dredge and was put in the pond by the boats skipper. Now the only way we are going to be able to get her is to drain the tank which is a major undertaking as it holds > 20,000L :? we've had a pot in the pond for a week now and she's ignoring it.

take a look on the centenary website www.otago.ac.nz/marinescience/pmlcentenary

In the picture of the 1904 facility there is an open pond in front of the building, that is where the octi is!

Will try to keep you all posted as to how the octi catching goes!

J

15. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

This is very interesting, Jean, because I'm sure I read some sort of news release within the last six months which reported that 9 times out of 10 the octos caught in pots were FEMALE! Maybe someone got mixed up!
    You'd certainly be in a position to know!

Nancy

16. Jean

That's very interesting! Well we definitely get males in pots! We prefer them for obvious reasons!

Was it someone in NZ? Cos maybe it's different for different species????

J

17. joel_ang

So what species is the on in the pond and how big is it? Which would be more troublesome, to get the current octo from the pond or a new one from some of the pots?

18. krogey

krogey Blue Ring Registered

hi Jean!

Had a laugh about Mrs Henry's name - Im an ozzie so I got it! but sad to hear of her passing :(
    good to read of someone in the vicinity, but i do have a question, you said you had eggs, was that by chance? or do you have a breeding program etc. of some sort?
    Sorry to gate crash someone elses forum! but was just passing through!

19. Jean

It's another P. cordiformis these are super common! She's pretty small, only about half a metre arm spread and about 5kg. Yes it might be easier to get another but our boats are all away or busy right now so we'll keep trying to get her until they're back (or we can get a trip out) if we haven't by then, well then we'll try for another.

Hi Krogey,

Crash all you want! and :welcome:

The eggs were definitely by chance! we don't have a breeding programme as such (course if the eggs had been fertile we'd have looked after the squirts!) This species has somewhere in the vicinity of 70, 000 eggs and most do hatch......thats a lot of mouths to feed :D I know we could release but somehow.........that just seems wrong at least until they've had a few feeds! Prob is we're a very small aquarium with few staff and looking after these squirts just takes so much time.

Where abouts in Oz are you?

Cheers

J

20. krogey

krogey Blue Ring Registered

We in sunny (NOT! 8) ) Melbourne hahahah!
    We looking to start something similar to "Octopets" over here since our Quarantine laws dont allow us to import ANY live moluscs :x so I was curious if you had eggs how you got that far... I have to get back to AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services) about applying for an exeption but I have been told to get such a thing you basically have to write a theisis on the impact to the environment if it were to get out. Being that I lack a marine Biology Degree I dont think I gonna have much success so the only other option is to breed my own... which again is going to be near impossible considering its so rare for us to get them at all over here! But I have a few tricks up my sleeve yet!