I got my octopus today

Well, today as I sat down to have a morning bowl of cereal I was surprised to get a shipment at 10:30am. Guess what it was! The octopus is defiantly a Briareus. It is bit smaller than I was told. The octopus was supposed to have a head size of a dime but it turned out its head size was no bigger than my pinky nail. I also noticed that it only had 6 tentacles; two of the tentacles weren’t there.. Hear is a pic from cephbase that looks exactly like my octopus Hopefully he isn’t eating him self. It doesn’t seem like he is what it looks like to me is he had a close call with a predator or a small rock. I would have taken pics but every thing was a bit hectic.

-Tom:-/

Congratulations on your new octopus - what will you name him?

I was looking at your description of your tank - if the pH is still 7.8, you need to raise it. There are buffers sold by the LFSs that will help.

Nancy

pH is one of the most important things to test. With an established tank you're not going to see random changes in ammonia level unless you have a big event. pH, on the other hand, does drift over time.

Dan

Dan is right - I think pH should be tested frequently. I finally got a continuous readout pH monitor so I can watch the pH. I was surprised to find it varies - drops at night, is highest in the evening.

Nancy

Nancy, do those continuous monitors require calibration? Scientific pH probes I've used in my coursework will drift without calibration, so I'm curious about the probes aquarists use.

I think the daily pH swing is cool. During the day your algae are photosynthesizing, consuming light and CO2. Less CO2 in the water means less carbonic acid and a higher pH.

This is why a lot of people run the light cycle on their refugiums opposite of the main tank, to reduce the pH swing.

Dan

You can add buffer = there are other ways, too.

You need to get a book on saltwater tanks and start reading that, even something as simple as Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies. The knowledge that you need is not just for cephs - it's how to set up and take care of a salt water tank. There are also many online sources for learning about this, but I think it's good if you also have a book or two.

Nancy

yeah your right, i also think the man who works at the salt water shop will be able to help me alot aswell:smile:
thanks
PeACe
Tif

Pretty much you can figure that cephs are like coral that can get out. Mature systems, no copper, stable water parameters, specific needs, making sure they can't get out, and live food.

If you think about it, no one would keep them if they weren't so damn cool.

Gratz on your new Octo!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back