• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I got my octo!

Yup, iv decided to name him Rocky, after the boxer Sylvester Stallon played in the movie Rocky.

Just a little update. Just now i saw him completly outside of his den, but as soon as we saw each other he jetted back to parts unknown.

hey,
what did you do with your cleaner shrimp? are they safe to keep with an octo because the tanks I'm setting up seems to have a little bit of algae, but the pH is fine.
I love your little octo! I hope I can get one...

yup, i love him :tentacle: .

I have been reading some past posts here and at reefcentral.com and it seems like alot of people loose their octos for mystetious reasons. Im kinda scared now i dont want to loose him. Last night he came out for about a half an hour to explore the tank. my whole family gathered around to watch him in amazement and he didnt seem to mind. After that he went to a new den and jas been there every since. He has put his whole body in his new den but now hes just sortof hanging out of it with only his mantle inside :?: . I dont know why but he seems to choose hiding places in plain sight, which is good for me but i cant help but be worried. From what iv heard this is sort of irregular behavior?.

No Rockthis, it isn't irregular behavior.

You won't lose your octi, even if he hides for a day or two, but yours is off to a good start.

It's nice that your family appreciates your little bimac, too.

It might be a help to read Debbie's reports on her baby bimac (dbbga), which are under Journals and Photos.

Nancy

hi Mike dont panic.. just enjoy it!

But please do some water tests today and every 2nd day for a week or two and see what is happening in the tank.. let us know if anything is going upwards like ammonia... be very cautious of leaving leftover food even if you do have a b/star and shrimps...

Have fun, you deserve it for getting this far!

Total beginner to octopus keeper in 147 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alright thanks alot colin :notworth: . I was just gonna do my water tests as i normally would every week, but i will start doing them every second day.

p.s- He ate the hermit crab i left for him :smile:

oh, once a day seem's fine to me, no prob, there, when you gonna get another ceph and what type of ceph you planning on getting then(if you want one, sorry for rushing into thing's but after you got one you want more to have and breed lol)?
p.s.- it should be in another tank and do it after a month or after 5 week's lol. :smile:

lol believe me vulgaris i would love another ceph. Unfortunatly the only other tank i have is a 12 gallon for all of my crabs, shrimp, etc. I dont have the cash to start another tank. However, in times to come i have no doubt that i will be setting up other larger tanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back