I got my briareus in today

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by marinerules, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marinerules

marinerules Wonderpus Registered

i bought him from a guy on ebay , that has sold them in the past

havent got a good look at him since he is still acllimating

i must admit , im nervous about keeping this octpoous , as im keeping this guy in a 55 , where in the past , I have kept them in my 240 , but i missed my fish , and restocked the 240 , but I had to have another octo

glasscages.com

2. bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Sooo, what is pookey's name?? And where is his picture??? :grin:

3. marinerules

no picture yet , i dont wwnat to scare hi , its been about 3 hours , and he is still inside the jif peanut butter container that he was shipped in

he was shippin in this container with holes and the this containerw as in a bag as well

i hope he makes it , he wont come out of that contatiner he came in

where as my bimac when i got them in , they would hide, but they would still reach out fo rthings ect.

4. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

I thought you hated every octopus you've ever owned?

5. marinerules

ok he has left the jar finally , he is now on the front glass just sitting there and swaying his arms in the water.

he wont eat any snails , or any crawdads i have offered,

of course its still the first day

im defeinatly going to have to get a bigger tank though

this guys head is alreayd a little larger than an egg

6. marinerules

no , i loved victor the last 4 months he had

he got big and very very active

7. marinerules

didnt make it to stressed f4rom shipping , i probably wont try the briarus species again

8. DHyslop

Sorry to hear that.

Could you elaborate how he was shipped...inside a peanut butter jar?? Did the shipper use pure oxygen in the bag? Sounds just a little bit sketchy.

Dan

9. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

You are unbelievable Kirtis

:(

10. marinerules

so are you colin , i just cringe when i see your name on my posts , i rather you just stay away form them

he was shipped in a penaut jar wiht holes in the jar, and the jar was in a bag with about a 2 quarts or more of water

11. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I wonder if the peanut butter jar had anything to do with his demise... The oil couldn't have been good for him. On the other hand, if they washed the jar with soap that wouldn't have been good for him either. I guess it doesn't really matter, the poor guy just didn't make it :sad:

12. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Where did you buy the briareus, marinerules? I don't think anyone should buy from this source in the future.

This is the first time I've ever heard of shipping in a peanut butter jar - in fact, most shipping is done in plastic bags.

Sorry that the little briareus didn't make it.

Nancy

13. DHyslop

Perhaps they thought the jar would prevent him from getting tentacles crushed in the corners of the bag? I know a lot of shippers double-bag with the corners 90 degrees apart to mitigate that.

Perhaps the octopus had one of those peanut allergies!

Dan

14. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:lol: You should have dropped a benadryl in the tank... How would you know if an octopus had hives?

15. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Hi Marinerules,

Colin is one of the moderators of this forum because of his extensive ceph-keeping experience. Many others who have offered you good advice during various stages of your ceph-keeping, then followed your posts in frustration as you ignored them and grew bored with your octopuses (and then bought another one!) now apparently decline to answer your posts or follow these threads, because it is too discouraging. As long as you continue to post news of your doings and to ask questions here, you cannot ask the forum moderator to 'stay away from your posts.' As you say, what you keep is ultimately your decision, but if you ask for advice and opinions from others who have successfully done what you are trying to do, and then disregard that advice, you cannot expect them to cheer you on, or even to just keep quiet, when you report that you are starting over with another octopus.

16. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I do, NOT fun! Octi may have need an adrenalin shot!

J

17. Colin

Not half as much as I do...

As TTF has pointed out, I cant stay away from your posts. We have tried and tried over the years to help you and freely offered as much advice as we possibly can. But nothing ever moves on for the positive.

It is partly our 'job' to help prevent people making preventable mistakes....

For any newish www.tonmo.com members I apologise if this seems hard and it is not a flaming... it is a very long running episode.

Remember the old www.reefs.org days Kirtis?

It goes way back to 2000 and 2001 with questions like...

'i have a 30 gallon , how big can my green brittle star get,,,,,,, also , i have a tomato clown and a snowflake eel,,, i am wanting a tang,,, is that too many fish in a 30 gallon?'

People have always offered you the best of advise and when its something you don't like or don't want to hear? well... you ignore it and animals keep dying. And THAT'S what makes me sad and despair at your posts.

Try using the 'Search' facility on reefs.org or reef central or even on this site and there is a catalogue of kind people who have given up their time to try and help you who end up giving up. But as long as you are posting on TONMO.com I will be here to moderate and to guide... even if it is to point out to people that this is the way NOT to do it!!!

You are not 17 anymore, that always used to be the excuse... what has changed? You are still ignoring sound advise, (and not just on this forum), you are still buying animals and these animals are still dying.

someone who gets bored with animals that are bought as pets and brought into their care should not keep pets regardless if it is a hamster or an octopus

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4291&highlight=&sid=a6b12e20b8532b545bd4895272f282fd

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=33262&highlight=#33262

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=33139&highlight=#33139

and on and on...

18. marinerules

ok i dont care if i get kicked off or not , cause of you , but

how am i ignoring advice

i kep my octo alive for 6 plus months, and then i wanted to try another species, then i left these forums, cuase the oldre my octo got , he became very very active

the octopus was shipped in his jar cause the supplier said it was his home and he would always sleep in the jar at night,

you wanna flame someone who buys something , flame the collectors or divers who collect species that should be left in the ocean

nancy I thank you and the other members who have posted postivie comments, even though I may not have listened to them all the tim e,
    at least you was respectful

19. bmatson

bmatson O. bimaculoides Registered

If you don't approve of taking the species out of the ocean then why do you buy them? By buying them your just supporting those divers/collectors.

Also telling moderators to stay away from your post defeats the whole purpose of this website.

Ben

20. Colin

Doesn't happen often but this thread is now closed... nothing to be gained here by having it open.

Thanks to all who participated
    regards
    Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.