I.D request for my new room mate

after the death of my previous octopus (he died on the way to my house from the store by inking the water in the bag:sad:) my sister surprised me with another one. she is doing fine it looks like but a little shy. i have 2 overhang bio-filters in a 55 gallon tank with a heater. they told me in the store that i wouldn't need the air pump because the overhang is exposed to enough oxygen and the octopus should be fine. the water levels are all perfect according to the store i shop at as they do free water testing and my water temp is at 80 degrees. shes kinda medium sized. plz help me identify her!

Attachments

• conv_305393.jpg
    conv_305393.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
  • conv_305394.jpg
    conv_305394.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
at a LFS named "allpets emporium" they have stores in tamerac, coral springs, daive, and the one i go to is the one in pembroke pines (all in south Florida of course) shes been quite shy though :/ im hoping shell open up soon. at the moment right nest to her is a crab in a clear glass bottle for her to eat but she doesnt seem to be the slightest bit interested. so far shes just been moving from rock to rock hiding

Upvote 0
I know the place.
The shyness is very typical. It can take up to two weeks, and even longer for some, before they really settle in. I would just let the crab loose in the tank for now, the octo will find it when its ready to eat. I have one of the same species and size right now that has been extremely shy nmore so than typical, I only see her when she is begging for food. At this age the octopus will likely be more active at night with teh lights out. mine typically come out to visit around 10pm, I have my lights set to turn off at 6pm.

Upvote 0
i actually let natural light in the tank and barley turn the aquarium tank light on seeing as i dont know really how sensitive they are to light. at the moment (moment being 10:22 pm) i have the night aquarium light on. its blue and very soft so i thought it would be better than nothing till i go to bed

Upvote 0
That sounds fine. i have the same dim blue Leds on one of my octo tanks, do prefer the red ones though....as for daytime lighting I set mine to turn on and off pretty close to the actual sunrise and sunset especially since we live in the same area as there natural habitat. During the day it is perfectly ok to run your normal tank lighting.

Upvote 0
ok great because i wouldn't wan to blind her. so ill turn on the tank lighting around 3 or 4 pm and then change it to blue around 8 or 9 then turn it off around 11. sound good?

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back