I am not sure how to post this... I'm new and confused.

twinkie88

Hatchling
Registered
I lived on a tropical island before moving to the desert, I know.
I have always held Octos so did not have any fear of them.
In 2004 I held the first one I should have realized was acting differently.
I was bitten in the palm, and still have residual pain. The octo didn't get off
lightly. His beak is buried in the bone of my palm. 2 yrs after the initial bite I
got a nasty infection of the site and have been told that I should eventually have
the beak removed. I have also been the victim of a sting ray- went right though
my tennis shoe. If anyone has any info on octo bites lasting effects, I
would appreciate it. The docs here in the desert of New Mexico don't see a whole
lotof this scenario. LOL:razz:

What kind of Octo? and details of bite...

I was told that I got lucky because there are lots of Blue ring Octos in Cholla Bay,
Where this octo came from minutes before I handled it. The fishermen and locals were completely
in shock that I was walking around. (My parents and I speak spanish.) I went to a Pharmacia
and had a "Doctor" look at it. He told me I could expect nerve pain for months up to my shoulder.
He prescribed something to help the pain and an antibiotic. I had a small bite similar to the pics already posted,
except it was in the Palm of my left hand.It did take weeks to heal, but I heal rather slow anyway.
It had healed before we realized the beak was still in the palm. I hardly have a scar now, but I have a
lump similar to a steel BB under the skin.Any accidental jolt to the scar/wound produces immense shooting pain.
I won't be handling octos arbitrarily in the future. Sorry I don't know what kind it was.

:welcome: and sorry to hear about this. I've certainly never heard about anything like this; it doesn't sound like TTX symptoms from blue-ring envenomation. This provides a bit more info on non-blue-ring bites: An Octopus Bite and its Treatment - The Cephalopod Page including some other references. I've also never heard of an octo leaving part of its beak before; that seems very peculiar. I hope you can find a treatment that gets rid of the lasting effects.

By the way, Googling for Cholla Bay seems to point to one in Mexico, which would rule out any species of blue-ring... they're native to Australia and that region, so unless there's another Cholla Bay you're referring to, you wouldn't have been in danger of getting a lethal bite from one of them.

I have similar reactions to sea-egg (urchin) spines .... 'Mr lumpy knee and finger' they should call me; there's nothing left in there, just those BB lumps you refer to.

to stop sea urchins from leaving bumps under your skin you can try hitting gently where you got poked with a pointer or a little weight until you get just a little blood. It also gets rid of the pain of the sting. I'm not sure why/how it works, but if I don't do it when I get stung I get a little bump that takes ages to go away.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back