Hypothetical situation Colossal squid interaction with white shark

Likely nothing would happen, as they would not recognise each other as (potential) prey item (or threat). In case of an "animal stand-off", it would largely depend on who gets the business end in first, but my bet would securely be on Charcharodon, as it represents many times the killing power of Mesonychoteuthis. If the latter would be able to attack (dorsally behind the gills), it still would have a lot of munching to do to get to the shark's spinal chord; great white, however, could have a successful kill with bite #1, if it's to the head... I expect Mesonychoteuthis to be pretty agile, it's a big fin squid.

I kind of disagree with your answer for a face off because the colossal squid is said to have 2500lbs of force from the beak and their tentacles and hooks from the looks of the carcasses of sperm whales look what they do to sperm whales,Im sure it would make easy pickings of a whtie shark.

yeah, I agree with ob, I'd say that Mesonychoteuthis probably has the same attitude as most other squids: if I'm not sure I can eat it, I'm going to avoid it. Its big eyes would probably see something that big from a long way off, and it would just leave... and likely go deep as well as far away. Extrapolating from humboldts, I don't think it would grab on and try to kill an opponent like that, but it would probably be able to avoid letting the shark get in a good attack unless the shark surprised it somehow.

221extra;109328 said:
I kind of disagree with your answer for a face off because the colossal squid is said to have 2500lbs of force from the beak and their tentacles and hooks from the looks of the carcasses of sperm whales look what they do to sperm whales,Im sure it would make easy pickings of a whtie shark.

At the risk of being sort of cynical, this is starting to sound like an argument over what would happen if the 1987 49'ers faced the 1937 Yankees in a hockey match.

I'm thinking here, that it's probably never going to happen, because the squid would probably bolt if the shark came near it. The thing is, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but great whites and colossal squid do not really share much (if any) habitat. The sharks prefer the epipelagic zone where there's a lot of light, while the squid would tend to stick to the mesopelagic zone. When the squid even enters the great white's habitat, it's more than likely that the squid is ill and dying, or very confused and off its guard. This would make it far more vulnerable to an attack, and I'd give the shark the upper hand if they ever met naturally.

Now to the hypothetical: the shark and the squid meet where they both have all of their strengths. I personally would give the upper hand to the squid based on the fact that the squid can do battle with sperm whales, and they are fairly evenly matched. The great white is definitely not as big as the sperm whale, though it is probably just as good if not more ferocious a predator. I would tend to think that if the squid managed to hook the great white anywhere, that shark would be a gonner, because once the squid has a good grip, it won't let go, and it would take more than one bite by the shark to get the squid, unless it was a perfectly positioned bite, and that would be very very rare.

This is going back to the "Who would win? An orca or a great white?" Well, this has been proven - a juvenile orca simply bit the head off of a fully grown great white. The orca is smaller than the sperm whale, and if it dived that deep, it would probably be pretty well matched with the squid, though I'd guess the squid would come out on top more often, from sheer perseverance (mind you this is completely hypothetical, because orcas can't dive that deep on a regular basis and during the time of the battle, they would drown from oxygen loss). So if the squid beats the orca and the orca beats the great white, then the squid beats the great white.

And of course, this would NEVER happen in the wild, because the species are distinctly separated in habitat, and I resort to my first comment about what would happen if they were found in the same habitat naturally.

Hi Izzy didn't know you were here too....lol

anyway....i think Mesonychoteuthis, will, in a faceoff, come out the winner but probably with some lost parts of its arms or tentacles

Win? Is this supposed to be about predation? I am at a loss for the moment...

There is no way, unless over a territorial dispute, that the situation would arise.

Great White Sharks are one of the most perfect predators on the planet, but they also have a big shy streak. The same goes for the squid.

Lions rarely eat leopards, and vice versa...for a reason. Too much damage incurred. Hey look, there goes a gazelle! Yum!

They haven't found sperm whales in the stomachs of giant squid ... On the other hand the Seattle aquarium lost a lot of small sharks for not having the right answer ...

Izzy;109332 said:
Now to the hypothetical: the shark and the squid meet where they both have all of their strengths. I personally would give the upper hand to the squid based on the fact that the squid can do battle with sperm whales, and they are fairly evenly matched. The great white is definitely not as big as the sperm whale, though it is probably just as good if not more ferocious a predator. I would tend to think that if the squid managed to hook the great white anywhere, that shark would be a gonner, because once the squid has a good grip, it won't let go, and it would take more than one bite by the shark to get the squid, unless it was a perfectly positioned bite, and that would be very very rare.

I have to concur with D, whales and (giant/colossal) squid are not evenly matched: giant and collosal squid are eaten by sperm whales, the damage done in retaliation is only skin deep.

Great white, 3 feet wide, extremely powerful bite...
Colossal squid, 4 inches worth of similar material...

Now, what if Liopleurodon.... :wink:

The biggest factor, is however, behavioural; I expect Mesonychoteuthis to be an ambush predator of sorts, such as Charcharodon. I am not sure how any such beast would fare in a face-off type situation with a continued requirement for sustained aggression, they would simply both disappear into different corners. Based on the scarce evidence regarding M. hamiltoni (none), I put the latter down to speculation on my side :biggrin2:

bigGdelta;109360 said:
but more importantly who would win in a fight between mr splashy pants and mr grumpy pants?
Depends. How large is Mr. Splashy Pants? 'Cos Mr. Grumpy Pants has some serious reach.

Meso vs. Carcharadon? Accepting the artificiality of the scenario, and all things being equal between individuals near the upper limits of achievable size, I have to think the shark would have the edge, mostly because of the disparities of density and weight. The white shark is much heavier and more solid, 2,300kg vs. 450kg. The shark might well have the sensory edge too, with a more diverse array of prey (and threat) detection organs.

Actually, this does make me think about sleeper sharks and how they might kill Mesonychoteuthis, assuming that the Meso bits found in sleeper sharks weren't scavenged. Perhaps it has something to do with mass, i.e. the shark taking hold of the squid (or the squid taking hold of the shark) and then throwing its weight around until the squid breaks in half.

Clem

I think the sharks best options are ambush squid have proven themselves to be formiadable aversarys.Against the shark it would be the same the squid has a nasty beak with some estiamated 2500lbs of force its smarter and maby stronger. It could possibly drown the shark. And about the greenland shark I dont think they actually hunt colossals more like scavenging because they dont have any scars on them like the sperm whales have.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back