HURRY NOW, need quick info on octo project...

Hey, I need a really fast answer this to this question that I never knew yet. What BLOOD TYPE do Octopus have? I know they have blue blood and absord oxygen at 10 to 20%, however...what blood TYPE do they have? Do they share similair ones like us such as A or AB? Please help...

octo blood

Armstrong said:
Hey, I need a really fast answer this to this question that I never knew yet. What BLOOD TYPE do Octopus have? I know they have blue blood and absord oxygen at 10 to 20%, however...what blood TYPE do they have? Do they share similair ones like us such as A or AB? Please help...

I don't know 100% for certain, but I'm pretty sure that the A B AB O stuff only applies to primates (and maybe just humans)-- I would be amazed if there are analogous factors in critters as distantly related as molluscs (I've been amazed before, however). I have no idea what factors might be important in transfusions between octopuses that might be similar, though. The blue (or green) blood aspect is because they don't use iron-based hemoglobin like we do, but rather copper-based hemocyanin. The AB stuff is more proteins and antibodies related to clotting and such, which I think is pretty human-centric. I don't know much about the details, though-- do molluscs even have "red" blood cells, or is the hemocyanin just free-floating in the blood? Do they have platelets? Clotting factors? White blood cells? I have no idea about any of those questions...

Well, this page says they only absorb oxygen at 3.1-4.5% (scroll down to the bottom), so there's apparently some varied information out there... big surprise. :roll: This abstract gets a bit more technical about it, and here's a full paper on the relationship between temperature and oxygen binding in S. officinalis. Those are just the first couple things that came up when I Googled 'cephalopod blood' so I'm sure there's more info out there. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for trying to help out though. Im also pretty confident that Octopuses DO have some type of healing method...of course they can grow back there arms and restore skin whenever it is wounded or pealed because of certain activity in the ocean. If they don't have ANY blood type whatsoever...even for a cephalopod type...im just going to tell my science teacher about it and give him the right facts. If there are any facts WHY they don't even have a blood type, I would love to see so I can prove to him that it wasn't possible for me to give him any info on an existing blood type for octopus whatsoever.

Tintenfisch said:
Well, this page says they only absorb oxygen at 3.1-4.5% (scroll down to the bottom), so there's apparently some varied information out there... big surprise. :roll: This abstract gets a bit more technical about it, and here's a full paper on the relationship between temperature and oxygen binding in S. officinalis. Those are just the first couple things that came up when I Googled 'cephalopod blood' so I'm sure there's more info out there. Hope that helps!

Lol, I actually searched in the SAME thing on google and found the same exact info, but thanks for trying to help. It was a surprise to me at the percentages of how fast they obtain oxygen...thats a big disadvantage.

My Lit review contains all you need to know on blood, the circulation and respiration system of squids, octopus and cuttelfish
:smile:

Attachments

• conv_288065.doc
    74.5 KB · Views: 82

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back