Hurricane Rita

Good luck to all of you in the path of Rita. We are thinking of you over here in the UK.

:usa: :thumbsup:

Update

Well Thurday I was forced by campus police to evacute do to the possible direct hit on galveston, so it was hard for me to leave all of the animals but what can you do? I threw as much live food in the tanks as I could and went to my parents house near san antonio. It normally takes my about 3.5 hours to get there but this time it took me 14 hours to get there (It was fun). Anyway I'm planning to return Saturday evening right after it passes galveston so hopefully the ceph's withstood the 2 day fast. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Glad to know you're safe, and hope the cephs will be all right. It now looks like Galveston will not be the bullseye, and will be on the slightly safer side of the cone, so hopefully there won't be too much flooding and you'll be able to get back ASAP. Does anyone know how long cephs can live without food? Surely they can't all be successful in hunting everyday in the wild.

They should be ok for at least 3 days, but they do tend to cannibalise, so anything more than 5 days will depend entirely on stocking density in the tanks. The greatest problem will be automated crashes, power cuts, airline supplies, pump failures .... the list of things that can (and regularly do) go wrong is almost endless.

One dead squid (or what have you), or a pile of dead/rotting food on the bottom of a tank will (or can) cause a complete crash in a couple of days. That's the greatest problem (being unable to clean the tanks).

Hoping for the best out here...here's to clean tanks and healthy cephs upon your return !!!!

I'm sanding down some shelves for a pantry I made for a friend right now...and gazed out, and saw the sunset, which is beautiful...just wanted to let you all living in Texas and Lousiana that my thoughts are with you, and I really hope this storm peters out quickly, without causing any damage or lives.
greg
sunsetseptember05.jpg

Just thought I'd update you on hurricane Rita's effects (I'm here in Dallas with relatives in Houston).

A much dimished Rita is passing through the area right now. We're getting 30 mph plus winds and hoping for some rain and cooler weather.

For some reason all our gas stations are empty - completly sold out of gas. I don't know whether it's because of Houston people returning home or local people fearful of damage to the refineries.

The damage to Galveston and Houston seems to be minimal. I've been following Galveston closely. There was a fire in the historical district with one building destroyed, 2 damaged. There are unconfirmed reports of windows blown out of the San Luis hotel, where the emergency management center was located. Some trees and signs and a few power are down and emergency crews are working to make sure all streets are clear. No reports of flooding or major damage. Power was turned off because of the fire. However, residents who evacuated won't be allowed to return until tomorrow until the emergency crews have everything back to normal. (Hope all those cephs at the NRCC are OK!)

Houston is about the same - minor damage only. Heard from my husband's family there, who stayed during the storm - a few trees and older fences blown down in the neighborhood, no flooding.

So, it wasn't so bad after all and we're all greatful for that.

Nancy

Also... in Galveston a brick side of a building collapsed into a parking lot. Hah so weird seeing pictures on the news of places I know so well. I'm rather concerned about the cephs though... hope they have power there, because not much else in Galveston has it.

They're not letting anyone return home, the bridges back are blocked by officials. Also, there are attempts being made to stagger the mass-return of the residents of Houston, Galveston, and all of southeast Texas... the local school district isnt even starting school again until wednesday or thursday.

I seen a quick glimpse on TV of the hotel that me and Nancy stayed in during 2002 when we went to visit the NRCC... glad the storm wasn't as bad as it could have been

I've returned

Well I got into galveston this evening and it only took we 6 hours. Everything looks good the animals are alive and look happy to see me ; the building lost power, but the generator kicked-in and is running the blower and other pumps.

I want to thank everyone for there support and preyers.
Now the hunt for live food begins :whalevsa:

Thanks

Thanks for the updates everyone. I am so glad it wasn't as bad as Katrina. Wonder what you will find when you search for food? Luck!!!!

Carol

yay! crisis averted (or minimized) -- it sounds like things worked out as well as could be hoped with Rita, although I'm sure a lot of people have had bad property damage...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back