Hurricane Rita

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by marinebio_guy, Sep 21, 2005.

1. marinebio_guy

marinebio_guy Vampyroteuthis Registered

Well here at the NRCC we are preparing for the Hurricane due to the likelyhood of us getting a direct hit or a near miss. I'm the lucky (or unlucky) person that has to stay behind and stay in the lab until it is over. Unfortionatly we are right next to the water and only have a 8 foot seawall protecting us. However I'm sure we will manage.

Wish us luck. :smile:

2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Good luck Marinebio_guy......................fingers, toes (& everything else) crossed that it dies down a little. Or misses completely.

Jean

3. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Our prayers are with you. How many stories do you have?

4. marinebio_guy

5. sorseress

Yeah, I know that, I meant, do you have more than one floor, will you be able to get to higher ground soto speak)?(

6. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Very brave of you to stay and protect all the cephs. At least you're not on the sea side of the hurricane.

I've heard of others staying as well - hope this one won't be as big as the 1900 storm.

If you want company and still have power, please continue posting from time to time.

Our thoughts are with you,

Nancy

7. William Tyson

William Tyson Vampyroteuthis Registered

ditto on that, hope it goes well, hope all the cephs are all right as well, do you have backup generators, or have you tried to evacuate some of the animals?

8. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

good luck

:goofysca: take care of yourself!

9. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Take care of yourself down there, Marinebioguy! Here's praying the worst of it misses you!

10. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Good luck and best wishes !!!
    greg

11. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Good luck! Prayers are with you and your ceph friends. I've been watching this morning and this storm is as massive if not more so than Katrina. I can't even imagine how everyone feels who were affected by Katrina.

Carol

12. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

I hope you and your cat are somewhere safe to wait this out, and I hope what you left behind makes it through intact!

(edit: reference to deleted post removed)

13. Octowanabee

Octowanabee Cuttlefish Registered

If yours cephalopods need any were to stay the can sleep at my house you can coem to

14. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

Many times, I've ignored political and religious rants finding improper homes in this forum. However, once and a while, these things go too far. I suppose some people are beyond the point of respectfully disagreeing with those whose beliefs are different.

I'm only here for the cephs.

... as to your wishes of safe place, I'm staying with family in Austin now. Today they reported the hurricane is shifting farther north and we now will not likely get hit by Cat 1 strength here (in austin) anymore.

Adam (Marine Bio Guy), i tried calling your cell just to check on you, but didnt get you. I guess you're probably pretty busy.

Amber

15. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

The offensive post and responses have been removed, and action has been taken.

TONMO.com public forums are not to be used as a soapbox. We're here for cephs, and only in extenuating circumstances, current events here in the Octopus' Den.

16. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Good luck to all of you in the path of Rita. We are thinking of you over here in the UK.

:usa: :thumbsup:

17. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

Good luck!!!

18. marinebio_guy

Update

Well Thurday I was forced by campus police to evacute do to the possible direct hit on galveston, so it was hard for me to leave all of the animals but what can you do? I threw as much live food in the tanks as I could and went to my parents house near san antonio. It normally takes my about 3.5 hours to get there but this time it took me 14 hours to get there (It was fun). Anyway I'm planning to return Saturday evening right after it passes galveston so hopefully the ceph's withstood the 2 day fast. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

19. sorseress

Glad to know you're safe, and hope the cephs will be all right. It now looks like Galveston will not be the bullseye, and will be on the slightly safer side of the cone, so hopefully there won't be too much flooding and you'll be able to get back ASAP. Does anyone know how long cephs can live without food? Surely they can't all be successful in hunting everyday in the wild.

20. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

They should be ok for at least 3 days, but they do tend to cannibalise, so anything more than 5 days will depend entirely on stocking density in the tanks. The greatest problem will be automated crashes, power cuts, airline supplies, pump failures .... the list of things that can (and regularly do) go wrong is almost endless.

One dead squid (or what have you), or a pile of dead/rotting food on the bottom of a tank will (or can) cause a complete crash in a couple of days. That's the greatest problem (being unable to clean the tanks).