Hunting ammonites on Youtube

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Fossils' started by Phil, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Nice little video on Youtube depicting ammonite hunting in Oklahoma. The finds are a nice size too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN2Q4cDm_pM

Come on Kevin, we want to see you do this too, I'm sure you can do even better!

2. Phil

3. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Way to go Phil! :mad: :mad: Now I have to go buy a digital video camera.

4. Phil

You might not have to buy a video camera, if your digital camera has a movie setting and records .mpegs, you can use just that. Just save the files to your computer and upload them directly, just as one does here for images. It's also free to use too.

I've got a couple of short and awful videos on there that I loaded just to see if I could, and found YouTube surprisingly easy to use.

5. spartacus

spartacus Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Yo guys ! Erfoud prep lab was good too

Keef

6. Phil

Here's one I knocked up after a trip out to my local beach quarry yesterday afternoon. Not much interesting found to report, but it was just good be out in the fresh air!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc64fduL4yk

Hope you like it, some of the images might appear a little familiar from this website, but hey ho. Sorry about the annoying kid's voice - nothing to do with me!

7. spartacus

Phil , that was truly awesome ! The musical score suggests to me that it's high time you jacked in being one of Tony Bliar's cronies (Canute couldn't do it so what chance has he got) & head off to Pinewood where the streets are paved with half eaten kebabs & McDonalds detritus just like any other part of the UK but think of the fame & riches ! KERCHING Dump that kid though.

Keef

8. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

How in the world do you spot them??? I watched and listened before I finished reading your post, and for a while there I thought you were keeping some deep, dark secret from us! Glad that wasn't yours.:wink:

9. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Excellent video Phil, just like being there. 8-)

Too bad I got my audio card fixed :wink:

When I go out on the west desert collecting, there is probably not another soul within 50 miles, maybe when I take the UFOP out next month I can get some kid to make alot of noise and get it on video. :lol:

10. Reighan

Reighan Pygmy Octopus Registered

Great video, Phil!

:smile:

Reighan

11. spartacus

is there a "making of " ?

Keef

12. Phil

Thanks chaps,

I'm under absolutely no delusions what an awful pile of crud it is, but making it kept me amused for a couple of hours.

It was not really difficult to spot those fossils Sorceress, they are just lying there in the shingle and clay between rockpools that were exposed during an exceptionally low tide. Those clips were taken within a space of ten minutes or so, on hands and knees just roaming around. I might post a proper photo or two of some cleaned up bits and bobs, but to be honest I found nothing as good as stuff you have probably already seen in all those Folkestone threads to date. Very bitty.

Now I know what to do (to an extent), I might do a better vid one of these days. The video clips were just with my little Sony Cybershot camera, nothing fanciful!

Anyone recognise Joe 90? No? Who, I hear?

No, Lord Spart, but there is a

* Folkestone Fossils: Behind the Magic featurette
    * From Script to Screen - storyboards
    * Deleted fossils
    * Optional commentary by me rambling on about nothing in particular, though probably about WW2.

13. spartacus

don't be so hard on yourself, I wonder what Spielberg's 1st efforts looked like ? :wink:

Joe 90 ! of course. I knew it something like that but the brain archive does involuntary spring cleans & that got wiped !

Keef

14. neuropteris

neuropteris GPO Registered

Great stuff Phil but I'm now waiting for Folkestone 2 - The Hoplitaceae Strike Back.

Its good to see film of another locality - photos don't always do the scenery justice

Andy

15. fossilkid25

fossilkid25 Blue Ring Registered

16. Phil

Nice vids there Fossilkid. The marine reptile tooth was a very nice find indeed. Well done!

17. fossilkid25

hey phil
    thanks. Plus i keep forgetting to take my camera fossil hunting and missed like 5 trips lol. Like i said there is more to come so keep an eye out on that channel. Plus would you trade any of your ammonites ? plus i done some studying on that tooth i found and its from a juvinile liopleurodon.

18. Phil

No Fossilkid, as I've said to you before I'm not interested in trading anything, sorry. Well done on the Liopleurodon, are you sure that's the right identification?

19. fossilkid25

Hey Phil
    Sorry i must have forgotten about you not trading. Plus yes im sure about the identification. Im like an expert with jurassic marine reptiles. Plus i have other liopleurodon teeth also so i have matched it exactly with it.

20. Phil

Hey fossilkid
    Glad to hear you are an expert on ancient marine reptiles. I just wondered if you have any opinion as to what extent cephalopods comprised a dietary component of the reptiles that have been excavated from the Oxford clays?