• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

hummelinckis

Hi,

Currently I have a bimac. It is getting kind of old so I am thinking about others octos. I have heard the hummelinkis are good and are pretty much the same as bimacs. My bimac was my first octo so I don't know much about any other species.

How big do hummelinckis get?

What temperature do they like?

Is there any thing else that important about them I would need to know?

Thanks

Finding them is the hardest question to answer that you didn't ask :hmm:

I have not had a bimac but have had two (maybe 3) hummelinckis and have found them to be very personable and interactive. They are smaller than a bimac but still need swimming room and will easily use the full length of a standard 55 gallon aquarium but they don't need a chiller. That being said, I still keep my tanks as close to 75 as I can without one (using fans and keeping the AC set in the aquarium room all day during the summer).

I failed to measure either OhToo or Octane when they died but I hope to have OhToo's measurement next week. I am going to guess that OhToo's mantle (behind the eyes to the mantle tip) was between 2.5" and 3" with an arm length of 7" that could stretch to 14". Octane could stretch his arms at least 18" but I believe he was the largest one being kept by a TONMO member. Hummelinki is a much thicker bodied octo than the aculeatus (the other frequently seen species).

I currently have an hummelincki, but as for ones for sale im not sure. Mine was caught in a crab trap in the halifax river. They are the only species of octo I have kept, and the only ones I hope to keep as they are super interactive. Mine is Karl and he/she is similar in size to Octane described above. Out almost the entire day, and likes the interaction of handfeeding/playing. Sadly Karl is showing signs of getting old with alot of undirected behavior and and swimming into the corners of the glass. The good news is I am about to disperse octo traps around the area and see if i can get some other octopus hummelincki of a smaller size. If this endeavour is successful you are more than welcome to one of them if I can get more than one.

I am a new member and this is my first post.... wooohhoooo! I wish I had known this site existed when I first started caring for Cephs...

The Halifax river is in the area of Daytona Beach, FL. It is sometimes called the intercostal waterway as well. It seperates the mainland from the peninsula, and is extraordinarily productive for a river. Salinity where i am on it varies from 1.024-1.026. This is from testing at low and high tides I will get some pics of my octo on here soon, but my camera is, shall we say, archaic.

paceslur,

Would you consider starting a journal on your hummelincki? Pictures or not, it is very helpful to all of us and I often reference back to my own for timing and behavior reminders (and I would not be anywhere near as prolific if I tried keeping a private one). There is no ridgid format but it is helpful to provide the name (naming helps keep individuals easy to find even if it is something like #1) and species in the title and have the initial log about where it came from and and any known statistics when it entered the aquarium. Physical characteristics like missing arms or anything you found noteable (sometimes we don't realize notable things until someone else posts :wink:) are recommended for the initial post but, again these are suggestions and the journals are free format.

Mine were all hummelincki, I love that species. Diurnal, very sociable, fit into a 29 gallon tank...an excellent pet octopus option for smaller tanks. I got my last 2 from saltwaterfish.com, they're listed as briaerus, but they arent. When you noticed they have some in stock again (and they do quite often, check daily) ask for a picture before you buy it. They have excellent CS, and did it for me while back.

started my journal on combat karl, and i read dwhately's on OhToo. Now i am worried as Karl is exhibiting the whiting behavior without running that OhToo did.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back