• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hummelincki Source?

kpage

Wonderpus
Registered
So my parents decided that they were gonna buy a 110gal aquarium for our living room! They are letting my turn it into a crazy reef aquarium, which means that I can take the stuff from the tank that Curla was in (I converted it into a reef tank after she died) and put it in the big one. So this allows me to get another octopus. Curla was an Aculeatus from live aquaria and she was great!

While I wouldn't mind having another one, I was hoping to find a hummelincki, but as far as I know there isn't a place I can order from. Does anyone know where to get one? I have heard that tom gave a tonmo member a hummelincki by mistake, do you think he has any in his last batch? I'm in chicago so does anyone know offhand where a good lfs is that has octopuses in stock?

thanks!

I am the one that got the 'Hummelincki' from Tom. unfortunately I am almost positive its not a Hummelincki but instead one of the many types of Vulgaris. So to answer no I don't think that one of the octopuses he has is a Hummelincki.

Shoot ok. I thought it was you but I wasn't sure. Well I have some time to look before my tank is free, so if anyone has any info let me know!

saltwaterfish.com used to be the only semi-reliable place to get them (imported from Haiti if I am not mistaken). They have a new site and I almost was not sure it was the same people until I looked at the octo listing. They are still using a photo lifted from Jame Wood's (aka Ceph) old site. Now they are calling it a Caribbean Reef octopus (which is officially O. briareus) but the photo is another animal (not sure which one, maybe O.maya) and the category (miscellaneous under invertebrates) photo is briareus. What they used to send was usually hummelincki but they have not had them for awhile. We saw many mysterious deaths at about the two week time frame which suggested a problem with either the holding tanks or the method of capture (I suspect the later and they were looking into the possibility issues with their suppliers). I would contact them to get more info if they should start showing availability.

Yes I look on their site sometimes, but I haven't seen them available and now they don't even have octos listed under inverts.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back