• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hummelincki source on Ebay

thanks octavarium. i appreciate it. ive been referred to a couple different places so far, but the more sources, the better. and id much rather get referred to someone by a TONMO member than anyone else.

jellyman;120201 said:
That's great temp info because I have been keeping mine at 76-78 degrees and i would say he is easily as active while the lights are on as he is when the lights are off. I have kept the dwarf carribean octo's before but this guy is by far AWESOME!! I would definitely recomend this source for a great octopus!!

Yes they are very active, thanks Jellyman!

absolutely. wait have yours been positively IDd yet? my fiance is gettin interested after seein all the information im gathering on octo keeping. im thinkin about gettin her one for our anniversary.

Keith;120274 said:
absolutely. wait have yours been positively IDd yet? my fiance is gettin interested after seein all the information im gathering on octo keeping. im thinkin about gettin her one for our anniversary.

Yes, the are O. filosus aka O. hummelincki, Caribbean 2-Spot. VERY fun. My favorite octopus so far was one of these, not to take anything away from Kalypso being an O. briareus, she's great, but the 2-Spots are naturally day active and have very outgoing dispositions, not to mention, don't grow ginormous, have a much wider variety of colors and more extreme texture changes. Mine ate from my hand the first day, played with my hand during acclimation...

More or less I'm saying, dude, if you want an octopus for all the cool behaviors you see on TV and what not, you want an O. filosus.

If this continues to be a regular source for O. filosus then I know where I will be shopping for my next octopus.

Animal Mother;120310 said:
Yes, the are O. filosus aka O. hummelincki, Caribbean 2-Spot. VERY fun. My favorite octopus so far was one of these, not to take anything away from Kalypso being an O. briareus, she's great, but the 2-Spots are naturally day active and have very outgoing dispositions, not to mention, don't grow ginormous, have a much wider variety of colors and more extreme texture changes. Mine ate from my hand the first day, played with my hand during acclimation...

More or less I'm saying, dude, if you want an octopus for all the cool behaviors you see on TV and what not, you want an O. filosus.

If this continues to be a regular source for O. filosus then I know where I will be shopping for my next octopus.

I know filosus is easier to spell, but I think the taxidermists, er, I mean taxonomists, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to standardize on hummelincki. Or maybe just some group of them that yells louder, I dunno. Anyway, I've been trying to nudge people in the "say hummelincki and mention formerly known as filosus" direction to tilt at the reducing confusion windmill...

monty;120312 said:
I know filosus is easier to spell, but I think the taxidermists, er, I mean taxonomists, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to standardize on hummelincki. Or maybe just some group of them that yells louder, I dunno. Anyway, I've been trying to nudge people in the "say hummelincki and mention formerly known as filosus" direction to tilt at the reducing confusion windmill...

Gotcha. Sorry to perpetuate the confusion... :oops:

no problem...

argh, for further confusion, this page seems to prefer filosus: http://zipcodezoo.com/Animals/O/Octopus_filosus.asp

as does this: ITIS - Report: Octopus filosus

so it sounds like in the 1998-2000 time frame, Sweeny & Roper at least preferred filosus.

What a mess. Now I should go back and figure out who/what convinced me hummelincki was better (although unless I'm getting senile, I'm pretty sure some of our actual real biologist members were in that camp...)

This seems to be the original "filosus is preferred" reference:

Toll, R. B. 1990. A reaffirmation of the nomenclatural status of Octopus filosus
Howell, 1868, the senior synonym of Octopus hummelincki Adam, 1936. Nautilus
104(1):26-28..

but doesn't seem to be available online anywhere I can find. :read: :banghead:

I also found out that this species is sometimes called the "bumblebee octopus" as well as "Caribbean two-spot" and various combinations of the above.

This is the sort of situation where I feel obligated to make a "Clado-Masochist" joke about biologists.

sweet. so they dont get very big? what kinda temp do they need? and can a 75 gal. hold one well? i still want a briareus, but its always good to have options.

Keith;120341 said:
sweet. so they dont get very big? what kinda temp do they need? and can a 75 gal. hold one well? i still want a briareus, but its always good to have options.

They're Caribbean, so 76-78 Fahrenheit, and yes a 75 gallon would be fine.

OCTOS IDENTIFIED

OH THANK GOD I NOW KNOW FOR SURE WHAT KIND THEY ARE:biggrin2:
THEY ARE JUST AWESOME CREATURES! THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS-YOU ROCK!

Animal Mother;120310 said:

There is also a fairly regular source on eBay for what is claimed to be O. briareus. Don't know anything about the seller, though his listing is fairly complete (the picture is too small to determine species, however.)
Anyone know anything about care for this species? Would a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump be big enough? How about the hummelicki (sp?)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back