• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hummelincki source on Ebay

"Willas Salt Box" says it regularly has what it calls the Caribbean/Bay Two-Spot Octo available. From one of the photos on ebay, you can somewhat see the eyespot. The seller is located in Florida, so it most likely could be Hummelincki.

This listing for the octopi ends tonight, but I think the seller has several currently available. The listing is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARRIBEAN-BAY-O...oryZ3212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(item number 250257588437).

Her ebay store website is: http://stores.ebay.com/Willas-Salt-Box and her email is [email protected].

I think "jellyman" posted a thread regarding his octo purchase from this seller. The listing states the size of 7 to 8 inches, but the seller stated she can get them smaller as well. I told her she may want to post a thread in the marketplace on tonmo if she is able to regularly get these octopi in stock.

That's correct. My octo is awesome!!! The body is about the size of two gulf balls and the tentacles are probably 6-8" long. It eats like a pig. Live horseshoe and fiddler crabs but it was already eating frozen silversides, krill, and shrimp. This ebayer is top notch. They also hooked me up with a 20"+ Brazillian dragon eel that eats out of my hand!!!

Octos for Sale

Hi and thanks again for the post. My name is Tessa and I am the owner of Willa's Salt Box, my store on Ebay. My email is [email protected] or [email protected], you can get me at both. What I currently have are what is called, around here in FL, the Carribbean Octo or Bay Octo or aka Two Spotted Octos. and I have also heard them called Bimic or cousin of Bimic/California Octos. These octos most definatly have a spot below each eye and its visible, sorry pic on ebay sucks its hard to get a good pic without underwater camera, but I can for sure see a stop underneath each eye...I have them as small as 3-4 inches. They are active and I have got them eating Frozen Brine and Krill about a week or so ago. I couldnt believe it when they first ate it b/c everyone has told me that they will only usually eat live food. I give them live food also. Fiddler crabs, horseshoes, shrimp, etc. I am sorry I really dont know as much as I should about these guys, I study more in saltwater fish but am learning everyday and so glad I was told about this site. Any information would be appreciated and helpful, anyone interested in any saltwater aquatics please visit my store on ebay or contact me. Please note in descriptions of items I have pasted a price list of items I have not listed yet. Ebay may take off the Octos again (they already did once) so if you dont see them it doesnt mean I dont have them.. Thanks

Octo Sold to Jellyman

jellyman;120172 said:
That's correct. My octo is awesome!!! The body is about the size of two gulf balls and the tentacles are probably 6-8" long. It eats like a pig. Live horseshoe and fiddler crabs but it was already eating frozen silversides, krill, and shrimp. This ebayer is top notch. They also hooked me up with a 20"+ Brazillian dragon eel that eats out of my hand!!!

Hey and thanks for your nice comment! You Rock! So glad you like them, that Brazilian is Bada$$! I almost decided to keep him, I got attached so I am really glad he got a nice home! That's awesome! Oh by the way I have a 24-26 inch Black Banded Sea Snake eel. He is just cool, constantly moving around the tank, amazing to watch. Let me know if you know anybody interested.
He is not the poisonus one. He's really cool!
So what exactly are the octos correctly called jellyman??? You can for sure see the two spots, but I have been told so many different names! :banghead:

cthomason352;120176 said:
Hi and thanks again for the post. My name is Tessa and I am the owner of Willa's Salt Box, my store on Ebay. My email is [email protected] or [email protected], you can get me at both. What I currently have are what is called, around here in FL, the Carribbean Octo or Bay Octo or aka Two Spotted Octos. and I have also heard them called Bimic or cousin of Bimic/California Octos. These octos most definatly have a spot below each eye and its visible, sorry pic on ebay sucks its hard to get a good pic without underwater camera, but I can for sure see a stop underneath each eye...I have them as small as 3-4 inches. They are active and I have got them eating Frozen Brine and Krill about a week or so ago. I couldnt believe it when they first ate it b/c everyone has told me that they will only usually eat live food. I give them live food also. Fiddler crabs, horseshoes, shrimp, etc. I am sorry I really dont know as much as I should about these guys, I study more in saltwater fish but am learning everyday and so glad I was told about this site. Any information would be appreciated and helpful, anyone interested in any saltwater aquatics please visit my store on ebay or contact me. Please note in descriptions of items I have pasted a price list of items I have not listed yet. Ebay may take off the Octos again (they already did once) so if you dont see them it doesnt mean I dont have them.. Thanks
OH yeah I read something about some octos being nocturnal, I dont think this is the case with this species, They come out and crawl all around the tank especially when the lights are on, I dont have real bright lights, just normal aquarium light and they eat and move around all the time in the light, someone help me with positive idenity PLEASE!!! Would love to know for sure, told so many different names, thought maybe nocturnal thing would help, thanks

ive heard of california two spot octos (bimacs) and ive heard of reef octos (briareus). i dont know a lot of destinctions besides that the ocelli on the bimac is an unbroken blue circle. put up a picture or two of what you have, these guys have crazy ceph knowledge. they'll definately let you know whats up.

:welcome: to TONMO!

We're fairly certain that the only octos from that area that have the "two spot" look are Octopus hummelincki, which, in older literature was called Octopus filosus. A number of our members have kept them quite successfully, and they certainly seem to be well suited as pets. It's probably preferable to refer to them as "hummelincki" since "bimac" typically refers to the two species (bimaculatus and bimaculoides) found in California that also have two ocelli (eyespots). "Caribbean" is also a bit misleading, because Octopus briareus is frequently called the "Caribbean Reef Octopus." As far as I know there isn't a standard "common name" for hummelincki... if you need to use a common name, I'd suggest trying to find one that's not too close to the accepted common names of other octos commonly kept as pets, so maybe "Atlantic two-spot" or "Florida two-spot" would be the best description to avoid confusion, so that people have the correct identification, and can get the proper care information. Speaking of which, I'm sure all the hummelincki owners would be interested to hear about the temperature and habitat that you see when collecting these octos.

monty;120183 said:
:welcome: to TONMO!

We're fairly certain that the only octos from that area that have the "two spot" look are Octopus hummelincki, which, in older literature was called Octopus filosus. A number of our members have kept them quite successfully, and they certainly seem to be well suited as pets. It's probably preferable to refer to them as "hummelincki" since "bimac" typically refers to the two species (bimaculatus and bimaculoides) found in California that also have two ocelli (eyespots). "Caribbean" is also a bit misleading, because Octopus briareus is frequently called the "Caribbean Reef Octopus." As far as I know there isn't a standard "common name" for hummelincki... if you need to use a common name, I'd suggest trying to find one that's not too close to the accepted common names of other octos commonly kept as pets, so maybe "Atlantic two-spot" or "Florida two-spot" would be the best description to avoid confusion, so that people have the correct identification, and can get the proper care information. Speaking of which, I'm sure all the hummelincki owners would be interested to hear about the temperature and habitat that you see when collecting these octos.

Thanks so much for the helpful info. Florida Two Spot Hummelincki sounds OK, Ill post pics asap or if you can go to ebay store, there are a couple pics there, not the best though. These are collected usually active for food or in rocks or caves, laying in wait. They are usually in water temps around 76-78 degress...They are active around the tank and change to a bunch of different colors....Again thanks for the info, thats awesome!::biggrin2:

Keith;120182 said:
ive heard of california two spot octos (bimacs) and ive heard of reef octos (briareus). i dont know a lot of destinctions besides that the ocelli on the bimac is an unbroken blue circle. put up a picture or two of what you have, these guys have crazy ceph knowledge. they'll definately let you know whats up.

Thanks, let me know if you are interested in one of these guys!

That's great temp info because I have been keeping mine at 76-78 degrees and i would say he is easily as active while the lights are on as he is when the lights are off. I have kept the dwarf carribean octo's before but this guy is by far AWESOME!! I would definitely recomend this source for a great octopus!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back