Hummelincki DOA

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Tommycs, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Tommycs

Tommycs Wonderpus Supporter

I ordered a Hummelincki from reef scavengers a couple days ago. It arrived yesterday dead. Its mantle was about 1 1/4 inches and arm span of about 5 inches so it was most likely a juvenile. The water was fairly cold however I did not get a chance to record the temperature when it arrived, It felt like it was definitely under 70. the nitrite was 10 and the nitrate was 200. The PH was between 6 and 7. The water was very cloudy and smelly. It was in a bag within a bigger bag in a box. So there were no cold/hot packs in it, nor was there any sort of insulation. Here are the pictures and I should be getting a reshipment as soon as they get another in. Reef Scavengers was very helpful with assessing and treating the situation.

Attached Files:

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I'm sorry. I had a vulgaris arrive DOA and it is very upsetting. I am glad to hear they will replace it!

3. Tommycs

Thanks, to make things worse this was my first octo.

4. bluespotocto

bluespotocto Haliphron Atlanticus Registered

Ahh man that makes it way worse. Think of it this way your already had the experience getting over the lost. I just lost my first guy a week ago of age. It is the worst thing because you get so attached. At least you didnt know him.

RIP little hummy:angel:

5. Tommycs

To be honest it was a little more gross than it was sad. I never saw life in the little creature therefore I couldn't compare anything to his death. However none the less it was sad seeing such a great animal dead.

6. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Very sorry that your octopus was dead on arrival. It saddens me whenever this happens.

Nancy

7. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Reefscavengers might wish to change their name at some stage...

#7    Top
  8. Tommycs

I see how it can be taken the wrong way. I think they are describing their product, not themselves. I hope that's the case anyway.

9. Tommycs

My Replacement octopus will be arriving tomorrow so I'll post pictures as soon as he arrives. They said it is even smaller than the previous.

10. Tommycs

The Replacement octopus arrived and everything is fine, He is even smaller than the previous. You can check his journal.