Humboldt Squid attacks on Discovery Channel

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
All,

Mark your calendars, as there will be several airings in mid-April of divers getting attacked by Humboldt Squid on this program (scroll to mid-page for times): Humboldt Squid attacks on Discovery Channel .

The person manning the camera during these attacks was noneother than TONMO.com member gonetobaja (Dale) himself. Thanks for all your contributions on this, Dale -- should be very interesting!

Reaction score
monty;92113 said:
That link isn't working for me, but it sounds like it's this show called Rogue Nature, right?

http://dsc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=3&cpi=25229&gid=0&channel=DSC

edit: I can't figure out how to get discovery.com to tell me if it's on HD, or only standard TV... I'm pretty sure gonetobaja has a fancy HD camera, though, so I'm hoping for HD!

:biggrin2:

Whats up Monty! I was told that it would be broadcast in HD and regular. I have not seen the show but I can give you a run down of it. We train the host of the show how to get attacked, by getting him attacked by guard dogs first. Then we went to Baja and Scott and The host did an underwater squid anatomy lesson, then we went to another spot and thats where he got attacked. I got the whole thing on video.

I cant wait to see it because I really have no idea how it was put together or will come out.

I know there will be squid in it though!:biggrin2:

GTB
www.squiddiving.com

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Somebody told me they saw this in HD on Discovery last night (and apparently it was amazing)... is that possible? It's not showing up as airing until April 20th on the Discovery site!

Reaction score
Man, I hope I didnt miss it!

I will check the HD listings. I know it was shot in HD formats but Im not sure of the show dates. Im dying to find out how it was!

GTB

Cairnos

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
gonetobaja;92162 said:
:biggrin2:
We train the host of the show how to get attacked, by getting him attacked by guard dogs first.
www.squiddiving.com
Let me get this straight, you actually had a host who when told "To prepare you for being savaged by large bity squid, we thought we'd first throw you to some snarling savage attack dogs."......and he said "Sure, no worries." ?!

What's this guy in next "Mesonychoteuthis - savage predator or cuddly toy?"?

Reaction score
Cairnos;93013 said:
Let me get this straight, you actually had a host who when told "To prepare you for being savaged by large bity squid, we thought we'd first throw you to some snarling savage attack dogs."......and he said "Sure, no worries." ?!

What's this guy in next "Mesonychoteuthis - savage predator or cuddly toy?"?
Yep....:lol:

It may sound strange but due to the circumstances that he was asking us to put him in, it was a sound policy.

For all I know they may not even put in the dog attack training part. The host of the show, Dave Salmoni had already recieved years of training dealing with large cats so he was no stranger on how to handle himself in the event of an animal attack. The German Shepards may have just been a refresher course.

He was a real nice and humble person when he was diving with us. It was really cool to be able to bring him to that site so he could experience what we were saying first hand.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
I caught some of it. Nice footage!
The dogs were in it. The host is doing a bunch of 'dangerous' animal shows - pretty interesting if a little over done of the killing and dying! :biggrin2:

I'm trying to get my brother in law to meet me down there to dive with you guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coldman19891989

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak